Chapter 10

Jake starts to head into the police station but I freeze on the sidewalk. He looks back then holds out his arms and I throw myself into them.

"I can't do it," I say into his shirt. "I can't."

He squeezes me tight. "Maybe when you see him you'll remember everything."

I shiver and finally admit what I've been afraid of for ages. "What if I ran away for a reason? Maybe he's bad."

Jake holds me in silence for a moment then tips my face up. His eyes are worried now, but he says, "If you married him, there's something good about him. You're too smart to marry a complete loser. So let's go meet him and find out what's good."

I still don't want to go but I know I have to, so I nod and let him open the door for me. As I pass through, I say, trying to lighten my own mood, "I wish she'd called an hour later."

Jake gives a half-laugh. "Me too, gorgeous. Trust me. Next time I turn off the phone."

I look back and smile at him and he winks at me, but we both know there won't be a next time. We're never going to finish what the cop interrupted. We can't. I'm married.

I can't get my head around it. How can I be married?

The cop at the front desk calls the one we've been dealing with, and she comes over and says, "Jake, Donna, congratulations. I'm so glad we got everything straightened out."

Is that what this is called? I nod, unable to speak, and Jake says, "Thank you so much for your hard work."

She smiles. "You're most welcome. I'll take you to see Donna's family."

I perk up at this. I can't wait to see how Ethan looks all grown up, and though my parents will seem old it'll be great to see them too.

The cop escorts us down a hallway, points at a door, and says, "Here you go. Keep the room as long as you like." She smiles again and leaves us.

My heart begins jumping around in my chest like it's trying to escape. I feel the same way.

Jake doesn't need me to tell him I'm freaking out; he gives my hand a squeeze and whispers, "I know. But I'm with you. It'll be okay."

I try to smile, then hold his hand tightly and pull open the door with my other hand.

He takes a step forward into the room and I go with him though my legs are shaking.

The two people inside leap to their feet. An old lady with thin but fluffy white hair and a puckered face, and a tall blond man in a dark suit with a pale purple shirt and deep purple tie.

No way this is Ethan. This guy's too old, at least a few years older than me, and his eyes are blue instead of Ethan's brown. He has to be...

"Donna," the man says, with such relief in his tone that my eyes prickle with tears. He looks like he hasn't been sleeping well. I don't know him, but he knows me and he's been worried. Terribly worried. "God, honey, are you okay?"

I nod but don't speak. I can't think of anything to say. I just keep staring at him. My husband. He's not cute, really, but he's coolly handsome. Professional. He looks like a lawyer or a banker.

I don't recognize anything about him.

The old lady gives a sniff, and for a second I think she might be trying to hold back tears but I glance at her and realize she's staring at my hand in Jake's.

"Mother, don't," the man says without looking at her, then he steps forward and holds out his hand to Jake. "I'm Ryan. Ryan Merrill. Thank you for taking care of Donna." His words are awkward but full of sincerity.