Chapter Nine - Patching Up

"Alan?" I called out as I turned a corner. I didn't call Alan yesterday after the situation or talk to him at all yet today to give him space. I then saw Alan mucking the chicken coop. He seemed to maybe not have heard me.

"Alan?" I say again, yet he doesn't reply. He continues mucking the chicken coop as if I weren't there.

I take a deep breath in before saying, "Yesterday with the guy I was with, I didn't reject you because of him, I promise. I'm not even sure if I like him. I did mean it when I said I just have a lot on my mind right now."

"You have a lot on your mind right now? Well so do I," Alan snaps back, "Are you even trying to apologize with me? Or are you just trying to make this conversation about you?"

"What about what I just said has to do with me trying to make this conversation about myself?" I ask with a tone in my voice, "I'm trying to apologize!"

"You're trying to justify that you didn't tell me about this guy by saying 'Oh Alannn, i have so much on my mind right now! How could I possibly think straight? I'm a horse girl, I need to save my ranch because I love my horse soooo much. I can't even think of anything good that'd be in the city life!' Like you didn't even see the pro that if you move into the city, we could see each other more often, you just keep think about all the cons," Alan mocks me upset before asking in a cracked voice, "Did you get uncomfortable when I told you I love you? Do you want to find a new friend now that doesn't make you think of a confession memory every time you even hear their name?

Alan pauses and holds his breath in while asking, "Is Barney going to replace me?"

"Who's Barney?" I replied quickly without thinking.

"Earth to Y/n! Your new friend? Why do you think we're having this conversation?" Alan reminds me not understanding how I forgot his name. Damn it, I forgot I named human Stardust Tamaki, Barney, to Alan.

"Uhm," I began changing the subject about the so called "Barney", "Alan, you're my best friend, I wouldn't want to stop being your friend just because of a small little thing. You can't control your feelings, no one can. Just because we can't control our feelings though doesn't mean that we can't control what we do with them. Sure, I feel uncomfortable around you a bit, but that's not going to stop me from being your best friend. I'm sorry I didn't tell you that I had another friend sooner."

Alan's tensed facial expression relaxes a bit before he assures me, "No Y/n, I'm sorry. I'm being so retarded right now. You don't need to be sorry for having a friend other than me. Yesterday when I saw you with Barney, I thought you were dating Barney which made me jealous. Then when you said that you two were just friends, it made me more upset. I couldn't bear the thought of losing you as a possible lover and as your best friend. I shouldn't have caused such a commotion yesterday when I know you're too kind to replace me."

"Alan," I empathize. We had just spilled out everything that was haunting our minds. Once again, I am voiceless. Instead of speaking, I hug him tightly so he know that I forgive him. He hugs me back and I feel a weight lifting from my shoulders, flying up and away before dissolving in the atmosphere. I can just imagine the same happening for Alan.