Chapter 4. "What's the deal?"

The girls spent the rest of their lunch break in easy conversation and comfortable joviality, Normani and Ally furtively teasing Lauren for her crush on Camila at every available opportunity that presented itself. Much to Lauren's relief, Camila either missed their veiled mocking of her current infatuation or chose to ignore it. Sadly, the same could not be said for Dinah, who would systematically look her way after every well-concealed jibe, her eyebrow slightly raised and a curious expression on her face. On numerous occasions Dinah had caught Lauren, not so subtly, she might add, staring at her best friend. Lauren felt her face becoming progressively warmer every time she was caught out and could only imagine the luminous shade of red that was spreading across her features. For her part, she tried to conceal the betraying crimson blush by resting her face in the palm of her hands, her elbows propped up on the table in front of her. She was almost positive that this attempt was nothing more than futile, her obvious awkwardness evident to everyone seated around her. Well, everyone, that is, except Camila.

Lauren couldn't decide whether she should be thankful for Camila's obvious lack of perception or hurt, regardless, it was the only thing which prevented her from wanting to curl up into a ball and die of embarrassment right there and then. Lauren didn't know what it was about Camila that she found so appealing but she was completely incapable of pulling her eyes away from the girl whenever she was in the immediate vicinity. It's almost as though her eyes, which after finally having fallen upon the most impeccable sight they'd ever seen would no longer tolerate having to look at anything less beautiful. As soon as she tried to track the conversation, which, was happily moving from one participant to another, Lauren would find herself looking right back at Camila, her brain trying to burn a permanent image of the girl into her memory for eternal preservation.

Despite the energetic conversation bounding around her, Lauren's mind was totally preoccupied with thoughts of spending time with Camila at Ally's house this afternoon, her stomach fluttering nervously in anticipation. As much as Lauren appreciated the opportunity to spend more time getting to know the other girl she was reluctant to have to do it in front of three witnesses who would, in all probability see her making a complete idiot of herself and more than likely assist her with it. Despite the initial fear that Lauren felt at Ally inviting Camila to join them for lunch, she couldn't help but feel a small sense of gratitude towards her friend. Lauren would never have found the courage to invite Camila to sit with them on her own and being able to spend time with her was definitely worth the ridicule she had to suffer. Lauren was even pleased with Dinah's addition to the group. Having spent time getting to know the girl during homeroom this morning, Lauren had grown to like her easy and relaxed manner. She hoped that as the year progressed the pair of them would become good friends, especially if, by some small miracle, she ended up dating Camila.

At the end of lunch, Ally provided Dinah, who was getting a lift home with Camila after school, with her house number. She informed her that she lived down the street from Camila and told the pair of them to come around whenever they were ready. Lauren felt despondent as they all dispersed to attend their next period, having compared schedules to find that none of them shared any classes this afternoon. Not only did that mean that Lauren would have to cease what was beginning to border on obsessively watching Camila for the next few hours but she would also have no one to distract her from what would likely be a very slow afternoon.

As promised Camila went back to check in with Miss Lovato and it took everything within Lauren not to accompany her, memories of the other girls miserable pleading echoing in her mind. Granted Camila seemed to have more energy since lunch and her speech had greatly improved since she'd left her outside Mr. Lopez's history class, but Lauren had a very real concern that Miss Lovato would insist on the other girl going home. Lauren worried that if Camila did go home, it would jeopardize her likelihood of coming to Ally's later tonight, and as a result, Lauren's opportunity to see her once again before tomorrow.