Part 1

I swim around and admire how big our community has grown. I head towards the middle sector, where my best friend and cousin, Adele, and I share an apartment.

The ocean is divided into sectors to keep our community flowing smoothly, and so everyone knows just where to go. In the center is the red sector, where all restaurants flourish, the purple sector is the shopping epitome, and the blue sector, which is larger than the others, is the academic sphere, home to schools and various jobs. Additionally, there is a small pink sector where there a party and hangout spots, like clubs. Then there is the black sector where all things dangerous, namely sharks, reside. It's a no-no.

There are several green sectors that spiral and create various circles. The wealthier one's family is the closer to the center they reside.

My teal tail slashes through the water as I swim up and into my home. When I'm inside and closed the door behind me, I settle into the armoire with a sigh. I'm exhausted.

Blizzy, our puffy pet, jumps up beside me, and I run my fingers through his blue and purple striped fur.

"Hey, Ariana!" Adele says as she swishes into the living room.

"Hey!" I smile at her

"I thought we could grab a bite at Crabby's to celebrate our last night of summer."

"But I just got back."

"I don't care. Change, and let's go."

"Fine."

~~

You may think we eat fish or cut seaweed, but in truth, we do not disrupt the balance in our world by taking from our resources. Instead, a selected set of mermaids and merman that grow and gather fruits and vegetables from on land, in an impressive garden they maintain.

I order a classic salad with sweet potatoes on top, and Adele orders a salad with soy meat- sounds cool. I'll probably try some.

"I'm so sad that summer is over," Adele pouts.

"I know.. but opportunities await us'' I try to cheer her up, "there may be some really cute guys at Coral College."

"Well, I do hope so," she laughs.

The food comes, and we eat quickly before any vegetables can start floating off my plate.

Though I won't admit it to Adele because she would just say I told you to say so, I'm glad we had a night out.