Part 8

"Hi," he says, his eyes gleaming mischievously.

"Hello," I reply in an even-toned voice.

"So, it's my break now. Do you want to go into the employee's only lounge?"

"Do I." I touch his arm playfully, and the light makes my fake diamond bracelet shine like a miniature spotlight. Yes, that was purposeful. His eyes get that hungry look in them just as I hoped.

I follow Fredrick dutifully as he punches in a code that allows us to enter the normally restricted lounge. I wonder how long it will take him to make a move.

The room is relatively small, and all the walls are covered in shelving and supplies.

"You make yourself comfortable," Felix or Fredrick, as he now calls himself, points to the lone chair among the piles of stuff. It looks like no one bothers to tidy up in here.

I nod in agreement, but I have no intention of sitting. Felix has no idea I suspect him as he fumbles to locate whatever it is that he is hoping to find. His hands work to unravel a piece of rope that was formerly used as a pulley system.

He is sufficiently distracted, and I deliver a carefully calculated blow to the back of his neck. I have no objective to find out what he intends to do with the rope, though likely it will be to tie me up and steal my jewels. As Felix falls, he manages to knock down a shelf, and hundreds of glasses shatter. I step back and drag Felix with me, but not before getting cut by a shower of glass.

Then comes a banging on the door.

"It's Adele," calls a panicked voice, "open up!"

I do, and she hugs me, clearly relieved I'm okay. Her eyes widen as she asses the damage. I can tell there's a lot she wants to say, but all she announces is, "I'm calling Mathew."

"I see a comfortable sitting spot we can enjoy while we wait." A smirk is on her face as we exchange a glance and sit on Felix.