Monochrome Eyes

Izuku sat in his classroom, all of his friends around him. Their teacher was teaching them about colours.

  "And what colour isss... This one?" She asked, whipping out a piece of paper with a sun drawn on it.

  "Yellow!" Chorused the class.

  Izuku remained silent, which caught the teacher's attention.

  "What about.. this?"

  Their teacher now held up a crudely drawn elephant.

  "Blue!" Said the class.

  Once again, Izuku remained silent.

  The teacher held up the last card.

  "What colour is the car?" She asked.

  "Red!!" Most of the class said.

  "Do you remember the special name for red?" She asked.

  This time, Izuku raised his hand. Katsuki also raised his hand.

  The teacher chose Izuku, glad he was getting involved.

  "Crimson." He said.

  She nodded at him.

  "Very good Izuku, well done!"

  A few hours later, and Inko was pulled aside by the teacher to have a 'grownup' conversation.

  "I think Izuku is colourblind." The teacher said.

  Izuku was taken to the doctor by his mother the next day.

  "What is it mummy? Did the doctors figure out what my quirk is?" The black haired teen asked.

  Izuku's green haired mother nodded.

  "Yes dear, they asked us to come down. Are you excited?" She asked.

  The small Izuku smiled.

  "Of course! I can't wait to find out what my quirk is!" He said enthusiastically.

  The doctor sat before them, clipboard in hand.

  "I must say, your quirk is very interesting young man. Now, as we already theorised, it has something to do with emotions. Namely, the lack of them. It would seem that we were correct with that assumption. Now we know that you are colourblind. We are not sure what exactly your quirk can do, but you will be able to manifest your emotions in due time. Any questions?" He asked.

  Inko shook her head, but Izuku was bursting with questions.

  "You said I don't have emotions, but I'm always happy around mummy! The same with colours! I can see green in mummy's hair, but I can't see it anywhere else. Would that be important as to how my quirk works? I don't feel happy around anybody else, or with anything else if mummy isn't there." Izuku said.

  The doctor blanked for a second.

  "Wait right here." The doctor said, whizzing into a back room.

  A few minutes later and the doctor returned.

  "I have a new theory as to what Izuku's quirk does. You say you can only see green around your mother? Is there anyone else?"

  Izuku thought for a moment.

  "I can sometimes see red around Kacchan. When he isn't angry. And I feel like I can do anything, just like All Might!" He said enthusiastically.

  "Hmm.. okay. Your quirk allows you to see colour and feel emotions around those you are closest to, but apparently only temporarily. I doubt that's the extent of it, but it's all we have for now. Thank you for coming Midoriyas."

  Izuku found out another aspect of his quirk the next day.

  "You should be happy Kacchan, not grumpy!" Izuku said to a pouting Katsuki.

  Immediately the blonde's face softened, a smile on his lips, his eyes sparkling in the light.

  Izuku stared for a moment before turning to his teacher.

  "I think I can make people happy with my quirk."

  Ten years later

  Izuku strolled down the street, stepping under a bridge on his way home.

  He sighed, trudging along. Kacchan had been mean again, but Izuku still hadn't felt anything.

  The greenette spun on his heel, staring up at the sludge monster creeping up on him.

  Thinking quickly, Izuku stared in an imitation of shock behind the villain.

  "What is that??!!?" Izuku said.

  *Curiosity...* He thought.

  The villain, becoming strangely curious, looked behind himself.

  All Might burst from the manhole, surprising both the villain and the teen. The villain, because even though the number one hero was apprehending him, he felt.. happy about it?

  The teen because the hero's golden hair shone before his eyes.

  "Colour..?"

  All Might laughed heartily, placing the sludge bottles into his pockets.

  "What's that about colour young man?" He asked.

  "Y-your hair. What colour is it?" Izuku asked.

  "Well, I have golden yellow locks young man. Why do you ask? Are you colourblind perhaps?" He asked.

  Izuku nodded.

  "I can only see specific colours around those I am or will be close to. I've never seen.. yellow.. before. I gain new emotions around them too. My mother gives me green and kindness, Kacchan gives me red and confidence, and you just gave me yellow and.. bravery I think." Izuku explained.

  All Might hummed thoughtfully.

  *Close to..? A student-to-be at UA? Or perhaps my successor?*

  "Well then young.." All Might began.

  "Izuku Midoriya." He said.

  "Well then young Midoriya. I'm afraid I must be off, but your power leads me to believe I'll be seeing you again. Farewell!"

  With that, the hero leaped into the sky.

  Izuku smiled as he watched the man with golden hair fly into the distance.

  Once again, all Izuku could see was black and white.

  He trudged home, now in a much better mood.

  "Hey mum!" He greeted happily.

  "Hello Izuku, how was your day?" Inko asked.

  "It was great, I met All Might, and I saw yellow!" He said.

  Inko's eyes widened, her smile almost blinding the boy.

  "You saw a new colour? Izuku, I'm so happy for you!!!" She said.

  Izuku laughed, hugging his mother.

  "It was amazing. His hair was even cooler in colour!" He said.

  Inko laughed too.

  "I'm sure it is." She said.

  Izuku was determined to enter UA, but he wasn't quite sure how to train his body. His quirk wasn't physical, but it could be plenty effective if he trained his body too.

  The greenette, lost in thought, wandered past Dagobah beach. He stopped, and spun on his heel.

  "The beach.." he muttered.

  The boy smiled at the piles of black and white trash.

  "That's how I'll train!"