𝒙𝒊𝒊. skin was pain

✧∘ଂ ࿐ ཾ
[ xii. twelve ! ]
❛ sᴋɪɴ ᴡᴀs ᴘᴀɪɴ ❜

          SHE WAS RANKED FOURTH

          SHE WAS RANKED FOURTH. Her name imprinted on the glowing screen right below Ben's on the scoreboard, right ahead of Will. Fourth. I can work with that, she thought to herself. A flooding of emotions welled up within her, she was proud of her achievement, but terrified of the voice that lingered in the dark. The voice that had threatened her not to climb the board on the final rankings. And she had.

Tara decided to ignore those drops of fear forming on her forehead, spilling down her temples — at least for now. She did not want to melt into the floor in front of the others, hands covering her face as she whimpered in fear. Instead, she chose to pat herself on the shoulder: she had done something, after all.

She had proved herself strong, and if Mother could be here with her at this time, Tara would be running around with a neon sign that said 'fuck you'. She couldn't, but she knew Mother would know her ranking sooner or later. Working for the Erudite government came with its perks, and seeing the blue-clad people roam the dark halls of Dauntless every now and then, made Tara hitch a breath in her throat. She was waiting to see that familiar face linger in the shadows. But for the moment, she was satisfied enough for being the highest-ranked girl. 

"This is fucking bullshit," a female voice materialized. The brunette turned her head and saw the bulky girl in her peripheral view. Tara rolled her eyes as the girl continued. "I'm way stronger than her — and better."

The corners of Tara's lips twitched upward for a split second, her right eyebrow slightly arched. She knew Molly was referring to her, because she had been ranked higher than her on the board, and an immense feeling of victory painted her features.

"Totally," Drew agreed, casting a cautious glance towards the said brunette.

"I would crush her in a fight," Molly continued, stomping her feel like a child.

"Oh really?" This had peaked Tara's interest and she had spun around on her heel, facing them with crossed arms. Her smile was replaced with a daunting glare. "Let's have a go at it then," she said, waving her hands threateningly. "Come on, I don't bite."

Molly's nose flared as she inhaled deeply, fists clenched at either side of her, mind spinning in a whirl of emotions. She was like an animal, searching for its prey, but Tara was right in front of her. Drew cast wary glances behind them, scared of finding their instructors face right next to his, but he didn't.

A few seconds of hesitation passed. The other Initiates gathering around them in a circle, clammy hands draped around themself in anticipation, jaws slightly tense. No one dared to chant their names; no one dared to utter a single breath, their faces painted with deception and excitement. They breathed in unison; shared the same drops of sweat forming along their hairline; the same heartbeat. They were one.