𝒊𝒙. compassion is weakness, not strength

✧∘ଂ ࿐ ཾ
[ ix. nine ! ]
❛ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴀssɪᴏɴ ɪs ᴡᴇᴀᴋɴᴇss, ɴᴏᴛ sᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜ ❜

          TARA STRUGGLED TO GET THE KNIFE to pierce the targets where she wanted them to, and it drove her outright insane watching them hit the board outside the blue figure, or hear them clink against the stone floor

TARA STRUGGLED TO GET THE KNIFE to pierce the targets where she wanted them to, and it drove her outright insane watching them hit the board outside the blue figure, or hear them clink against the stone floor. She was aiming for the spot inside the black circle on the illuminated figure of a human body, though her knives never hit there. It infuriated her, watching them end up in the wrong place, or god forbid: the floor.

With a glance to her left, she watched as Tris threw another knife, it landed next to her previous one inside the circle. Tara clenched her jaw shut and turned to her own board, exhaling deeply whilst trying to ignore the judging stare coming from Eric.

She felt his presence behind her and swallowed the lump in her throat. "Keep trying," he sneered before staggering down the line of Initiates.

Tara held the knife, twisting it in the light as if it could slice up the rays of fluorescent light, her expression exaggerated by the dark shadows around her eyes. She could already see Eric in a pool of darkening blood and her face split into a grin that arced in a sickly way, never making it to her almost sunken eyes.

If she cast her eyes to the other side of her, she saw Edward lean over and whisper something in Myra's ear. Tara sucked air through her teeth and her gaze flickered down to her hands for a split second, ignoring the annoyance bubbling within her like a volcano near eruption. She felt the skin in between her eyebrows twitch as she tugged at her lower lip. She couldn't help but notice how close they had become during their Initiation, where Edward went, so did Myra. She wasn't jealous — at least that's what she told herself.

"Well that was pathetic," Eric's voice registered in her ear. Her head shot up, expecting him to stand behind her, but he stood next to Al further down the line.

A relieved smirk tugged at her lips. It gave her a certain satisfaction knowing that she wasn't the worst thrower in the room. She bent her arm and aimed at the figure, a deep breath leaving her lungs as she threw it. She loved the sound it made as it sliced through the air, almost like a whisk. Another failure in the books registered as it hit the wooden board surrounding the figure. Tara cursed under her breath. 

Eric raised his voice again and Tara stopped what she was doing, watching the interaction.

Behind the pair sat Four on the table, an indescribable look on his face as he analysed the tall teenager in front. Next to him, Tara saw the Dauntless man with dark skin who she had hit on the first day. Zeke, she thought his name was, but her memory was fogging. Next to Zeke stood the girl who had been with him, the one with the high cheekbones and almond-shaped eyes. But her name she couldn't recall.

"Are you afraid?"

"Of getting hit by an airborne knife?" He was much taller than Eric, it looked almost humorous from her point of view. "Yeah."