Chapter 1

Nervousness ran through Sophia's whole body as she made her first step into the great hall of Hogwarts

Nervousness ran through Sophia's whole body as she made her first step into the great hall of Hogwarts. The brown-haired sixth year fiddled with her tie and looked around the room in awe, everything in this castle was absolutely huge and new. 'How could Hogwarts be new for a sixth year?' is the question everyone asks themselves, right? Hogwarts was not known for accepting new students who weren't eleven years old. Well, sadly the permission to attend this school had a bad background story. Sophia shook her head and tried to suppress these thoughts as she still was not over the events that happened not a long time ago.

Sophia was a rather shy girl who didn't want to attract much attention but as every Hogwarts student, she had to be sorted into one of the four infamous houses. Luckily, the Headmaster himself allowed her sorting to take place in a separate room before the sorting of the first years took place in the Great Hall. It was no surprise though; in the end, he was the one who invited her to Hogwarts because of the special circumstances she was in. Sophia's sorting was rather rushed, but she did not exactly mind. Having several professors staring at her was not what she enjoyed anyway. In the Headmaster's office, the well-known sorting hat was placed on her head and her heart was racing. Her father went to Hogwarts in his younger years, he was a Ravenclaw. Her mother on the other hand did not attend this school. Which house would have fitted her the most?
Her thoughts were interrupted by a voice. "Slytherin!", it shouted and a little smile formed on Sophia's lips. She had not really informed herself much about the different houses, so she did not really prefer a particular one. The thought of her belonging to any house made her happy. The rushed sorting happened only a few moments ago, shortly after she stood in the great hall.

Looking down at herself and then letting her gaze wander around the hall again, she noticed that the different houses were separated. Sophia was not quite sure if the separation was a rule or if it had something to do with their house pride, but she decided not to find out by testing it, so she quickly made her way to the table with her housemates. She sat down next to a black-haired girl who was talking to a few other people. Of course, no one expected a new Slytherin in 6th year, so most of them did not really pay any attention to her. Sophia decided to take initiative and tried introducing herself to the girl and maybe to her friends. It couldn't be too hard to find new friends in Slytherin, right? Well, not with Sophia's backstory. She gave the girl a shy little smile and started talking: "Hey, my name is-"
The group of friends did not let her finish her sentence, she did not even get to mention her name. They interrupted her with snickering and venomous looks. "Lovely! A new little mudblood in our school", the black-haired girl smirked and looked at her with an obviously fake pitying look on her face. Two rather chubby boys laughed along and Sophia was actually speechless. A dark-skinned boy continued taunting her: "Oh Pansy, didn't you know? She and her family are actually blood traitors... Well, 'were' is the better fitting tense. Poor little orphan", he said and leaned back. The two other boys laughed again, it was quite clear that they were just followers, not really leaders. Sophia wanted to return anything, show that she wasn't weak, but they caught her off-guard. She really had not expected them to be so mean to her. A platinum blonde boy sat down, looking rather serious. "What's that funny?", he asked and Sophia did not want to listen to them making more fun of her. "This girl really...", she heard the girl called Pansy start talking and the boy's gaze landed on her. Sophia just turned away and bit her lip to stop it from trembling. This was not how she expected her first interactions at Hogwarts to be. Luckily, the Headmaster shushed the students a few moments later and the sorting of the first years began. The thought of having to attend this school for two more years gave her a stomach ache and the mean laughter she heard from the friend group next to her did not exactly help with that matter. Sophia sunk into her thoughts, completely neglecting what was happening around her. The boy was right, she was an orphan now – and this was the reason for her change of schools. Only Dumbledore was able to keep her safe. Her parents were killed, killed by death eaters. And this school was her chance of being able to complete her education in a safe environment without having to worry about how to stay alive. Her parents were taken away from her just for being interested in muggles... This world was just cruel – but she wasn't able to do anything against it. Sophia had to accept her fate and this really broke her.

Loud cheering got her back to reality, the sorting had already finished and the feast began. Food appeared and the happy chatting of excited students was unmistakable. Sophia put a bit of food on her plate but the comments from before spoiled her appetite. "Aw, is the little blood traitor anorexic? This won't make us pity you", Pansy started picking on Sophia again which made her shoot the black-haired girl a glare. Then, she stood up and left, even though she had no real plan on where to go. Outside the Great Hall, Sophia leaned against a wall and took a deep breath. "Everything will be okay. Everything will be fine. I will make it.", she repeated in her thoughts, hoping this would make her actually believe it. Soon after, she heard Dumbledore dismissing the students: "Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps...dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, that greatest weapon...is you. Just something to think about. Now off to bed."
While listening to the Headmaster's words, her heart dropped, and she couldn't hold herself back from lurking into the Great Hall again. Sophia's eyes focused on Dumbledore and on the group of friends that had given her such a welcoming first conversation. Not even Sophia could have overlooked the depressed look on the blonde-haired boy's face. But who was she to care about any person from this friend group? She honestly just tried to keep her distance from them.
The students left the great hall and as it seemed, Sophia seemed lost enough to get a Gryffindor to ask her if she needed help. And this was how she met Hermione Granger – the girl who showed her around Hogwarts.

 And this was how she met Hermione Granger – the girl who showed her around Hogwarts

Please vote and comment! :)