Chapter 2

The next morning, Sophia met Hermione on her way to the Great Hall

The next morning, Sophia met Hermione on her way to the Great Hall. She was still trying to digest the fact that she had to share a dorm room with Pansy. It was quite a shock for her to wake up and see Pansy only a few meters away from her, actually. When she went to sleep the day before, she was alone in the room. Thinking about breakfast made her shudder, she did not want to hear witty comments about her again. As if she conjured it, the blonde boy from the day before showed up. "Granger you mudblood, how's your friend Pottah?", he asked the Gryffindor girl and did not really acknowledge Sophia. She did not exactly plan to watch her first and only friend get insulted, so she decided to stand up for her: "Excuse me, what did you say to her?!", Sophia asked with a bit of disbelief in the tone of her voice. How could people be filled with so much hatred?

Sophia, of course, did not know what happened to the Potter boy. If she had known that he had injured 'the boy who lived' in the Hogwarts express the day before, she most probably would be too scared to say something. "That she is a mudblood, new girl. It's rubbing off on you, blood traitor!", he answered and looked at Sophia's small figure in distaste. Hermione looked like she was ready to hex the boy whose name Sophia still did not know, but another boy rushed towards them. "Hermione, he's not worth it," he said and took her arm, dragging her away. The Gryffindor shot Sophia an apologetic look before stumbling after the ginger. This left her alone with the rude Slytherin boy who shot her a smirk – it was everything but friendly.

The nervousness made itself noticeable again and suddenly the new girl did not feel as confident as before. "Who even are you to judge me?", she forced herself to say and looked the boy in his gray eyes, trying to hold the eye contact to show that she was not weak. "I am Malfoy, Draco Malfoy. You should try to remember my name," he says and raised one eyebrow at her pathetic attempt of seeming strong. He could clearly see that she was intimidated. His last name seemed familiar, but she couldn't figure out where she had heard it. "Honestly, befriending mudbloods – Gryffindor mudbloods – will not help you with finding friends in Slytherin," he spat, but this tip was actually honest and genuine. Most students in that house came from wealthy pure-blood families, they were all raised like Draco, they all believed in pure-blood supremacy. "I mean, I did not really get a chance to befriend anyone there in the beginning, did I?", Sophia shot back because his double standards annoyed her. "Cheeky, I like it. Come with me."

A look of confusion spread on her face when she heard those words. Malfoy made his way towards his friends, and Sophia was not sure whether to listen to him or not. Was he joking, and they would all just laugh if she sat down? Would they make fun of her for being that naïve? Or did Malfoy really just give her a chance of finding friends in Slytherin? Her heart beat really fast when the blonde boy sat down and turned towards her, waiting for her to sit down. She went weak at the knees but thought that she would just try to trust him this time. Nothing terrible could happen, right? So, she took a deep breath and walked towards the friend group, sitting down in between Malfoy and one of the chubby boys from yesterday. She noticed that another blonde girl sat there this time. She wasn't there at dinner the day before. Sophia actually recognized her as her other dorm mate whose name she did not know yet. "Hey there, I am Daphne Greengrass! I didn't get to introduce myself this morning, you were gone so fast", the girl introduced herself and had a genuine smile on her lips. "You're Sophia Adams, right?"

She smiled and nodded, but before she even had the chance to say anything, Pansy intervened. "You really dare to sit here again? Go to your mudblood friends or something," she hissed and looked extra-annoyed. "Yeah, and she actually dares to sit in Gregory's seat next to Draco!", the chubby boy number one added. Well, at least now Sophia knew that chubby boy number two was called Gregory. Daphne raised an eyebrow, and the new girl couldn't believe what she then heard – Daphne really defended her! "Oh, come on, Pansy. I know you don't like people in general but you seem extra annoyed since she is sitting next to your lover-boy," the blonde girl remarked and chuckled. Sophia's eyes widened slightly. Pansy and Malfoy were a thing? Oh well, Pansy hated her already before but now every chance of getting Pansy to at least accept her was destroyed.
"Actually, I invited her to sit at this table, so shut up.", Malfoy said, rolled his eyes and started eating, not really bothering with anyone after that. Sophia was not quite sure if he just told the boy next to her to shut up or if he meant his girlfriend by that, but both of them listened to him. They left her alone. She was able to enjoy her breakfast and talked with Daphne. She was so invested in this conversation that she hadn't noticed the pair of eyes that were looking at her the whole time. She surely did attract Blaise Zabini's attention.
After breakfast, Sophia separated from the group to get her school bag and then made her way to the Potions classroom. On her way there, Blaise was leaning against a wall, obviously waiting for someone. She just had not expected that someone to be her. "Hey there, Adams", she heard him say and stopped dead in her tracks. Nervously she tucked a strain of hair behind her ear as she looked up at him with an asking look on her face. "I wanted to apologize for yesterday and wanted to ask if you want to sit with us at Potions. See it as a peace-offering.", he said which made Sophia smile. She gladly accepted the offer and entered the room with him. Hermione furrowed her brow when she saw Sophia getting along with the Slytherins who just insulted them. The new girl couldn't be that naïve, right?

The lesson started and the teacher introduced himself as Professor Slughorn. Three cauldrons with potions in them were prepared at the front, and he asked if anyone knew about its content. Hermione instantly raised her hand and Sophia smiled as she saw how intelligent her new-found friend was. The three potions were Polyjuice potion, Veritaserum, and Amortentia. Hermione actually proceeded to describe the scent she smelled, but Sophia did not know the people enough to realize who Hermione could mean. Some girls stepped closer and closer to the cauldron until Slughorn put a lid on it, shaking his head. He asked for Hermione's name and proceeded to ask if she was related to some famous potioneer, but she denied it as she was muggleborn. "Yeah, she is a filthy mudblood after all", Malfoy snickered and another Slytherin boy laughed. Sophia repressed shooting them a disapproving look. Then, Gryffindor earned 20 house points and Malfoy looked like he was punched in the face. Normally, Sophia should react the same way as she was a Slytherin and had to root for her house, but she did not really care since Hermione was her friend.

Professor Slughorn announced that now they should start working, but a Hufflepuff commented that there still was a potion unknown to the class in the front. The Professor explained that this was liquid luck and every student started to listen more closely to his words – especially the boy who lived and Draco Malfoy. The person who brewed the best Draught of Living Death would win a tiny bottle of Felix Felicis. Everyone started working eagerly, and Sophia, on the other hand, took a minute to look through the room. While observing, she noticed that Malfoy riffling feverishly through his book, he really seemed desperate to win. She shook her head, shrugged the thoughts off, and started working – in the end, she wanted to get a good grade, too. She had found brewing always quite relaxing, so she had time to sort her thoughts. Sophia was so worried about this day, thinking that they all would be still at least as mean to her as the day before, if not even meaner – but they weren't thanks to Daphne and Malfoy. Little did she know that Blaise's intentions were far from nice.

 Little did she know that Blaise's intentions were far from nice

Please vote and comment!:)