Chapter 2: Arrival

My eyes fluttered open to see the sun peeking up from a flat, yet rolling valley. Acres and acres of golden fields, brindled black cattle striding through the grounds, caged in by leaning barbed fences. The occasional tree here and there, but golden fields for miles upon miles upon miles.

I looked at my phone. 8:04 am. I wouldn't get to Oklahoma City for another two hours. Yawning, I pulled the hood over my head and continued to gaze out the window. In the part of Arizona I lived in, the scenery was always rigid, dusty, and sharp, all the edges of the flat land and cacti receding in jagged lines. Here, although it wasn't the most exciting scenery in the world, the beauty of its peace settled nicely along the sky line.

Exhausted still, I leaned my face against the window, letting the cool glass chill the reddened skin of my cheek, of which was still tender from where I was hit. The wheat farms whizzed by, as we passed farms of other kinds growing corn, cabbage, and lettuce. As they washed away with the speed of the train, and the sky burst into a bulb of blues and pinks, and the sun rose slowly with a quiet orange hue, I let the train's vibrations rock me like my mother use to, and I let the flashes of wheat and quiet clouds lull me back into my peaceful slumber.

-----------

Shivering, I shifted as the train screeched to a halt. Although it wasn't cold, it had to be at least thirty degrees lower than it would be in Arizona. For an early September, my phone had said Oklahoma was around seventy-eight degrees, and after looking up the weather in Arizona, i saw it was one hundred- three degrees there. I sighed and, after adjusting my shirt, i grabbed my bags and headed for the front of the train.

I listened to the sound of my little suit case's wheels clickety-clack against the train's hard floor. The sound was almost comforting. As I rolled out of the train, I sent a text to Shelly, shortly after gtting a reply. "She lives on 4056 Tether Ave. I'm appologizing ahead of time, she's like super wierd xD" the text read and I smiled down at it. I hopped up across the street and called one of the few taxi's there were, all thr way to Midwest city. Walking along the street of which I was dropped off, I breathed in the cool humidity of late August.  Arriving at the home of Shelly's cousin, I took in the scene. A smaller house with concrete steps leading up to a large wood door. The house was made of red brick but the house's paneling under the dark brown roof was a light yellowing cream. Preparing myself for all the oddness that Shelly had been warning me of, I walkec up the steps and rang the doorbell.

A few moments after hearing the bark of a large dog, and heavy footsteps running, the door opened with a picture quite different than whst I'd painted in my mind. "Hi! You must be Hope!".