Timmy Nolan Memorial Park

That noon Neal and the other of Jennings' campaign workers gathered around the television and watched their boss being interviewed on the news

"-The FBI has reopened their investigation into the Mickelson loan scandal," the reporter said. "Is this true?"

"It is," Jennings said. "And let me ask you something. Have you ever played stickball?"

"No, I have not, senator."

"Well, all you need to play stickball is a broomstick and a ball." Neal heard his own words coming from a prominent senator. Corrupt most likely but still. "It's the ultimate form of democracy, right? Anyone can play. Even Timmy Nolan."

"Who is Timmy Nolan?"

"Timmy Nolan..." Jennings seamed to suppress a tear "Was a friend of mine that I used to play with. And he's also the reason why I am fighting so hard to make this park a reality." He pointed at the area no one claimed for a stadium or anything else as far as Neal knew. "Look, we all know why a five-year-old, closed investigation has suddenly resurfaced. It's because there are people out there who would rather use this land for their own profit than to let the Timmy Nolans of this city have a place to play." Neal glanced around and saw the others spellbound. "Well, I'll tell you this. They can come at me with whatever they want. But I will not back down!" Jennings left the journalist and the audience in the room burst out in an applause.

"All right. Yeah!" Neal added to the positivism flowing.

Reggie left the inner office and joined the applause.

"Cooper."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

Neal made a quick excuse with the man he was talking to and walked up to Reggie.

"Look, I need to know what's going on, or I can't fix it." He looked at the man without getting any response. "If you can't trust me—"

"You believe in Gary Jennings, right?"

"Yeah, I wouldn't have done this if I didn't. He's gonna be governor in the next five years."

"He's got his sights set even higher," Reggie said. "But to make it there... We need to take out this FBI agent."

Neal fought to make his shiver not to show. Peter.

"Didn't you just watch the news? The story's buried. I took care of it."

"For now, yeah. But I've seen guys like Burke. You buried him now. That's just gonna heat him up."

So they had not done anything yet. Neal relaxed. They wanted him to fix this too, but was not sure where his moral limits were yet.

"What's your plan?"

"This prostitute... Lana? I think she knows a lot more about Burke than she's letting on."

"You want to talk to her?"

"Not me," Reggie grinned. "I've got a guy."

"Barrow?"

"Yeah. He'll get it out of her."

That was a phrase too cliche to misunderstand.

"What's he gonna do to the girl?"

"He'll scare her. Maybe rough her up a little."

"And what if he gets out of control?"

"Is that so bad?"

"When's Barrow gonna have this 'discussion' with the girl?"

"Any time now."

It was Diana, a trained and armed FBI agent. But he had no clue what kind of threat Barrow was.