[25]

nobody knows this little rose —
it might a pilgrim be
did I not take it from the ways
and lift it up to thee.
only a bee will miss it —
only a butterfly,
hastening from far journey —
on its breast to lie —
only a bird will wonder —
only a breeze will sigh —
ah little rose — how easy
for such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

only a bee will miss it —only a butterfly,hastening from far journey —on its breast to lie —only a bird will wonder —only a breeze will sigh —ah little rose — how easyfor such as thee to die! -Emily Dickinson

the end of it all

Waiting for the assembly hall to empty was agonizing. The pair sat on one of the pews, facing each other, both of their eyes cast down. Once the final teacher and student left, Angeline let out a sigh. Tugging on the collar of her shirt, she shifted her attention to the boy in front of her, who seemed to be waiting in bittersweet silence.

"First off I just want to say sorry. Sorry that I didn't say anything sooner. That I didn't have the courage to. It just wasn't all mine to control I guess."

Steven scooted closer to the girl, and grasped her hand tightly. "I'm tired of waiting Angeline. Just spit it out, whatever it is, I'm sure I can handle it."

The girl gulped. She pulled her hand out of the boy's grasp and flexed it slightly.

"I'm engaged. And I have been for a while now."

The gasp Steven let out was full of pain. The boy immediately shot away from the girl, putting distance between the two. At first, Steven didn't say anything. The pair sat in pained silence for a moment. Angeline fiddled with the hem of her shirt as she tried to gage the boy's reaction. She couldn't recognize anything until he spoke up.

"You can't be serious Angeline." He shakily stood up and began to pace across the room.

The girl didn't speak, turning her focus to the floor and the outline of her shoes.

"Tell me you're joking. Please. This isn't funny." The rambling of the auburn-haired boy struck a chord in the girl's heart. She began to tear up, and stood up as well.

"I'm so sorry. You've got to believe me." Angeline reached out and tried to place her hand on the boy's shoulder, but he angrily ripped away. Turning his body towards her, the girl spotted trace amounts of tears spilling out of his eyes.

"How long?" His stare bored into the girl's heart. "How long Angeline? How long have you known? How long has everyone else known?"

She let out a shaky breath. "No one else knows, just Knox. And it definitely wasn't my choice for him to find out either."

"How long." This time, it wasn't a question.

"A month or so."