Study Buddy

Warning: none
Reader Gender: Neutral

"He's failing!?" Y/n exclaims. "But exams are coming up soon, he can't fail!" Their orange hair friend shook her head. "I know that, but I don't think there's anyway of helping him." Y/n sighs heavily. They had a feeling this would happen, Luffy never was the smartest of people. "Maybe I could help him." They suggest. "If you think you can, be my guest." The two continued to chat as they head to their next class. By the end of the day, students were more than happy to get out of school, but Y/n had other plans for a certain straw hat wearing boy. "Luffy!" They call after him, he turns around and greets them with a wide grin. "Hey (nickname)!" Y/n walked up to him. "Nami told me you're not doing so good with your grades." Luffy's grin immediately fell. "Uh...yeah...about that." He mutters. "Don't worry, I'm gonna help you." Y/n gives him a reassuring smile. "You will?" Luffy asks. "Of course I will! I can't have you being held back while we all graduate, now can I?" Y/n turns and begins walking. "Come on." They motion him to follow. Luffy trails after them, grin returning to his face. Not only was he going to get help, he got to spend time with Y/n!

The two walked into the school's library, where Luffy was told to remove his hat. He pouts and ties the strings together, the straw hat hung from his neck casually. "What a dumb rule. What would I be hiding under my hat anyway?" He mutters before taking a seat across from Y/n. "Rules are rules. No matter how dumb they get I suppose." Y/n shrugs. Luffy hums in response before leaning back in his chair. "So what are we doing?" He asks. "Studying." Y/n gives him a stern look. "I need you to focus, ok? What are you struggling with the most?" They ask. "Math, and science." Luffy answers. Y/n decided to start with science to get it out of the way first. That took about an hour before they were done. Luffy looked like was about to drop. "Don't fall asleep on me just yet. We still have math to do." Y/n pulled out a text book and turned to a specific page. "But this is so booooring!" Luffy groans. "I thought you'd say that, which is why I brought this." Y/n places a piece of paper in front of him. Luffy picks it up and turns it around, his eyes widened at what he saw. It was a coupon to his favorite restaurant, and they were having a special deal on meat dishes, all you can eat. Y/n snatched it away from him and put it back in their pocket. "You can have that, when you answer at least 17 of these 20 problems correctly." They say as they push the textbook towards him. "You promise to take me if I do?" Luffy asks as he grabs his pencil. "I promise." Y/n smiles softly. Luffy grips the pencil and works away in the book.

After 30 minutes he was done. Y/n took a look over the problems. After a few minutes they looked back at Luffy. "Luffy..." They began, Luffy started to get nervous. "You got 19 problems correct!" Y/n cheers. Luffy smiles widely and pumps his fist in the air. "Yosh!" 

And just as Y/n promised, they took Luffy to the restaurant where he could pig out all he wanted. Y/n delighted in watching him eat for some reason. He was just so carefree, it was like his happy place. "Do you feel confident in the exams now Luffy?" They ask. Luffy, mouth still full of food, nods. "Yesh!" He gulps before continuing. "I'm gonna kick those exams butts!" He says determinedly. "Good. That's what I like to hear." Y/n smiles brightly. "And tell you what, if you do end up passing those exams, and I'm sure you will, I'll treat you to another big surprise." They didn't miss the sparkle of curious excitement in the boy's eyes. "Like what!?" He asks. "You'll just have to wait and see. The only way you'll be able to pass and get that surprise, is if you study hard." Y/n puts their hand on his. "Will you promise to work hard for me?" They ask, giving the best puppy dog eyes they could make. "Of course I will! I'll do anything for you Y/n!" What he said made their heart skip a beat, and their smile only grow wider. "Good. I promise to work harder too."

Just as promised Luffy did work as hard as he could, and gave it his best. And to his, Y/n, and everyone else's surprise, he passed! His friends made sure to thank you for helping Luffy pass. And Luffy was more than excited to show off his good grades to you. "I'm sorry happy for you Luffy! I knew you could do it!" Y/n cheers. "I told you I'd try! Now can I get my surprise?" He asks, with the same excitement as a child that just was told they were going to Disney World. "Of course you do. There's actually two parts to this surprise." That only made him more curious and excited. "The first part, is that I got us two tickets to that amusement park you've been dying to go to." Luffy cheers and picks Y/n up, hugging them tightly to him. "Thank youuuu!" Y/n chuckles and hugs him back. "And now for the second part." They mutter. Luffy pulls back slightly and looks at them. "What is it?" He asks. Y/n leans forwards and kisses his cheek. Luffy felt his face heat up, he looks at Y/n with wide eyes. Y/n started to become nervous, had they just ruined it? Before they could apologize Luffy leans down and pecks Y/n on their soft lips. Blinking a few times to process, they kissed back. After a couple of seconds they both pulled apart for air. "Now let's get going (nickname)!" He takes their hand and runs off.