That Man

Sasuke ran through the village, heart pounding in tandem with the rhythm of his feet on the dusty ground. He dodged and weaved through piles of debris and the shinobi clearing them, huffing and puffing with more than just exertion. His mind was blindingly numb. His own heartbeat was the only thing he heard as he rushed into the hospital, flying up three flights of stairs in record time. Reaching out, he threw a door open and bent double, hands braced on his knees as he struggled to catch his breath. On her bed, Hanako stared at him, dark eyes void of light. She'd been like that for several days, now, so painfully subdued and lifeless. That old man did something to her, he just knew it! She was fine when he left!

He didn't have time to worry about that right now, though.

"That man," he panted, voice hoarse. "That man is here."

Her expression didn't change and for a horrifying moment he feared she wouldn't react at all, that her promise to stand with him against that man, just like she had on that day, would amount to nothing. Then, her eyes widened and she pushed herself up into a sitting position, leaning over the rail on the side of her hospital bed. Her face was haggard and pale, the skin under her eyes flaming red, but her expression—an expression!—was sincerely concerned.

"He's what?"

Her voice was as small as she was, tone breathy and shaking with an emotion he knew but couldn't name.

"He's here," Sasuke repeated, the words like ash on his tongue. "And he's after Naruto!"

Her face twisted in horror and he just knew she knew why that man had gone after Naruto instead of him. The small glimpse of the monstrous strength his teammate called upon in his fight against Gaara came to mind and he seethed.

Hanako was struggling with the restraints on her legs, her one hand—seeing the flat stump was just as jarring as the first time—fumbling with the buckles and straps. He rushed over to her side to help, but she flapped her hand at him.

"I need clothes," she said sternly and he was so glad to hear her speak he didn't protest the command.

He ran back out of the hospital, taking to the rooftops in his haste as he sped across the village. The Hatake Clan Compound was on the other side of the village, far from the main road and the hospital. Going there would waste valuable time. He changed course midair, landing with a roll in a courtyard he never thought he'd revisit—at least, not for many years, yet.

The numbness summoned by his name settled on his mind like a blanket as he rummaged through long abandoned boxes, pulling out a high collared shirt with the uchiwa emblazoned on the back.

It was fine, right? She had a Sharingan, anyway, and he was Clan Head, so no one could argue with him.

Hanako was standing beside her bed, hands fisting in her hospital gown. She raised one straight brow at the clothes he handed her before gesturing for him to turn around. She dressed quickly, tugging on his sleeve. He turned, taking in the sight of her in his clan's traditional clothing. It was a little out of style, and a bit too big around her shoulders, but the black shirt and white shorts ensemble brought back memories of his academy days—for her, too, if the wry smile on her unmasked face was anything to go by. He knelt down and helped her into a pair of black sandals, ignoring the way her toes scrunched in the unfamiliar footwear. Finally ready, she reached over and pulled out the IV from her injured arm, immediately applying pressure to the vein to stop the bleeding. Several other wires were also shed, and they fled the room to the sound of a flatlining heart monitor.

Hanako came up beside him as they leapt across the rooftops. "Naruto went to Tanzaku-gai! We should head straight there and try to cut them off!"

Sasuke nodded in acknowledgement and lead the way into the forest, leaving the village behind. Tanzaku-gai was one of amny civilian resort towns in the land of fire, and every academy graduate was required to memorize the locations of those within a week's travel from Konoha. With any luck, they'd reach the town in under an hour at their full speed. Soon, he'd be face to face with that man. He wasn't sure what he'd do when he confronted him, but he was glad to know Hanako was with him, again. This time...this time he wouldn't freeze! He was past that! He'd grown since that night and he'd have his revenge!