1 // The Beginning

It all started with my first pony ride when my family went apple picking. I was about five years old. Since then, I tried to convince my parents to let me ride.

It didn't work too well, but I was able to go to riding camp over the summer when I was 10. There wasn't as much riding as there was horsemanship, but it was still fun. 

- Day 1 -

My younger sister and I arrived at the barn. The camp group was fairly small, about 5-8 kids. Maybe that's big, but we were split into two groups, older and younger. 

I was in the older group, along with an 8 year old girl and boy, Emily and Jack. 

We started camp off by being introduced to the two camp ponies, Andy and... Umm... I have no idea what the second ponies name was. No, I'm not mean, I just didn't ride him.

Andy was such a sweet boy. He was about 13 hands, and 15 years old, I think. He was new at the barn when we came, so we even got to give him his first bath. That story will be included later.

He was a light chestnut, very playful and calm. I didn't expect this from a beginner horse, but he was very willing. I didn't have to spend half the lesson getting him to a take a step. That has happened to be before. 

After being introduced to the ponies, we went on a tour of the barn. The barn was small, but a nice kind of small. It had a pretty large tack room, about 10 stalls, a large indoor arena, and lots of paddocks. 

A few horses were boarded there, but I honestly can't remember how many. Don't blame me, I have a horrible memory (not about horses though) but four years... Nah, I can't remember that far.

Anyway, we started off our first day by tacking up the ponies. Emily, Jack, our instructor and I took care of Andy, while the rest of the group tacked up the other pony. I'm still trying to remember his name. Maybe my sister knows...

Anyway, we were taught how to groom a horse, which is definitely helpful. Call me weird, but at one point, Emily and I tried to groom each other. You can guess how that went.

Andy was very nice to groom. He was a bit skittish, as I found out. A truck full something rolled into the field, and Andy spooked. He reared (I have no idea how he didn't rip the cross ties along with the wall like Elliot did - that's a story for another day) and even managed to spook the bomb-proof Other. (that's what Imma call the other pony now).

Our instructor calmed him down, and we resumed grooming. 

If you're wondering how I remember this much detail, but can't remember the pony's name, just know, I'm a very weird person. I'm ADHD, so my brain acts strange, and yeah... I'm not discriminating against the other pony, I'm just... Well... You get it?

After grooming Andy, it was time for tacking up! Wanna guess who carried the saddle? 

ME!!!

If you thought my arms fell off, then you're right because they did.

Emily put the saddle pad on Andy, I did the saddle and girth (our instructor helped us) and Jack helped with the bridle. 

Then we were off to the arena. We took turns riding Andy. None of us trotted until Thursday but... It was still fun. 

Since the younger group was larger, we, the older group, got to ride more. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'll stop now.

We weren't taught much technique, beside straight back, and heel down. And I was wearing rain boots... Don't question that. I only got real riding boots when I started taking lessons.