Chapter 4: Fix What I've Broken

Author's Note: I have always loved the song in this chapter. <3

Chapter 4: Fix What I've Broken

When Avi heard his front door slam, he felt as though the walls of his house were crashing down on him. He couldn't control the sob that escaped his lips as he slid down the wall of his bedroom.

He had planned on composing himself in here before returning to Scott in the living room. He certainly hadn't planned on Scott leaving him here.

Everything was fucked.

That afternoon, Avi had decided that enough was enough. Pulling himself together, he decided that it was time to move along.

So, why he decided that livestreaming was a good idea, he had no idea.

He set up his iPad on his tripod before plopping down on his couch with his guitar in hand.

"Hey everyone." He waved, feeling small immediately. He watched as the comments came rushing in.

Avi, we love you!

It's been so long, we missed you!

Congrats on your niece!

He smiled into the screen. "Thank you," he replied. "So, you all might be wondering why I decided to do a random IG live session. Just wanted to say, you know, what's up?"

When's the last time you saw PTX?

"When's the last time I saw Pentatonix? Well, yesterday, actually." That made the comments erupt immediately. He laughed as they scrolled too quickly for him to read.

Mitch Grassi is here! Hi Mitch!

"Oh, Mitch, you're on? Hey, buddy!" Avi smiled softly, but felt his nerves mount tremendously. What if Scott was next to him?

"So... the reason I wanted to go live was to play you all a cover... that you know... I've been working on."

Duet with Mitch!

I bet Scott's there too. Do a trio version!

Avi ignored Scott's name in that comment, ignoring the longing in the pit of his stomach to sing with him again.

"This one is called 'You Are the Reason', and uh... with PTX we toured with the very talented Calum Scott. I always loved this song and uh, it's been speaking to me lately. So, I wanted to share my take on it with you. Here we go."

His hands shook as he strummed the first chords on his guitar, a bit lower than the original version. He inhaled a shaky breath, trying to focus on anything but the iPad in front of him.

There goes my heart beating
'Cause you are the reason
I'm losing my sleep
Please come back now

And there goes my mind racing
And you are the reason
That I'm still breathing
I'm hopeless now

There was a lump in his throat, and he thought he might suffocate, suddenly. He paused, his hand abandoning his guitar to rest on his knee as he composed himself.

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
Oh, 'cause I need you to see
That you are the reason

He allowed his hands to play the chords as though they had a mind of their own. The next part... he had always imagined that Scott's voice would sound perfect singing these words.