DAY 4

CHARLES' POV

"It's always the ones you do not expect " I said my voice loud enough as I gathered everyone in the living room, giving an end to my investigation and close to delivering the final results. 

"Ms. Eleanor Hills, you gave me five days and I'm standing here on the fourth day done."

"Great, now you can finally leave me alone. " 

"Let me correct you, WE are leaving" 

"No we aren't, I'm not going anywhere until I sell this house" 

"Yes you are. There is this place called prison that will perfectly be your new home" 

"Nonsense, I didn't do anything" 

"You might want to explain why you lied saying you were with your parents in Birmingham that evening even though you never left Guildford." 

"How did you find out?" she said almost shocked. 

" You forgot already?" I smirked. 

"I'm the best in town. It wasn't hard to find out where you went that day. " 

I pull out a piece of paper, an official signed paper by her to sell this house although it wasn't signed yesterday, it was signed since a month and handed it to her. 

"Where did you find this?" 

"It wouldn't matter now would it? I hope you know why your husband wouldn't sell the house, his parents, before they died, stated that if he alone could achieve a net worth of 1 million pounds while not giving up this expensive house he would take control of their savings account which incase you don't know, contained 20 million pounds worth of properties and cash hence, the party that day." the smirk still hasn't left my face but instead, grew wider while she seemed shocked. 

I could watch her trying to assemble words as she stood for a few minutes trying to talk yet, words refused to leave her mouth.

" That has nothing to do with me. Why would I kill him?"

"Well, you're the only one here who lied, didn't have a solid cause of absence therefore, I'm arresting you."

"I don't have a motive. Please believe me, I didn't kill him" she stepped back and seemed like she was about to cry.

Well, they all do that shouldn't make a difference. 

"Ms. Eleanor Hills you are under arrest.You are convicted of first degree murder anything you say can or will be used against you." she bent down crying as I continued narrating her rights.

She seemed convincingly innocent but the evidence did nothing but line against her, anything else is up to the court to decide. When I started this case, it seemed like it would be very hard yet, it wasn't. Three suspects, one was away, it's a clear case. 

_____________________

"It's not me, please believe me" I've been hearing the same sentence repeatedly for over 30 minutes on the ride to the police department,I'm starting to doubt that I might lose my sense of hearing in a while. 

"Would you please shut up, the court will decide wether you are guilty or not" she doesn't seem to care about what I said, she continues chanting the same phrases over and over, this is gonna be a long ride. 

_____________________________

"Harry, this is your killer, the man murdered after the party, this is her." I handed Harry, my police friend, the assumed killer. 

"Are you sure? She was his wife." 

"Well even if not, she lied that would put her in prison as well" 

"I did not kill him please believe me" Sje repeated, this time more emotionally. 

"Oh my God! Would you please take her? She wouldn't stop saying that."

I turned to face her. 

"You are going to prison wether for the murder or lying so please, SHUT UP!" I screamed this time. 

"Cool down it's fine I will take her" he gestured for an officer to take her into the cell, THANKFULLY, until we could start the court formalities. 

"Why do you think it's her?" 

"I couldn't risk it, she was going to leave by next week- she was the only one missing at the time of death, I know that it isn't conclusive but she is our main suspect we can't let her leave" 

"She couldn't leave even if she wanted to, you know that right?" 

"She's rich she can do whatever she wants. " 

"Okay so what do we do now?" 

"Tomorrow we can submit the file to court. It will take time to get results but that's better than letting her walk away" 

"You know you can hand me the case now, right? I only wanted your help because the case was too confusing but after handing me her, I can take it from here." I don't know if I want to leave the case. It was a quick job for the sake of a friend but now I think I want to continue, give myself closure. 

" It's fine. I will continue"

"Thanks mate, you really helped me out here. " 

"Anytime." I started walking away to my car as I drove back to the house, previously a crime scene.

_____________________________

"You are free to stay at this house, if she is found guilty, the house wouldn't belong to anyone unless some relatives claim it. " I assured Victoria and Alenia.

They seemed like good people, and after what he put them through the least I could do was give them his house including the fact that Alenia was the one that tied the dots together, she provided me with the real estate agents' names and even gave me a few leads to work on, they made this case work. 

_____________________________

6 MONTHS LATER

"Guilty" was the only word that caught my attention as the judge spoke sentencing her a life long prison sentence. The jury confirmed she was guilty after examining all the evidence. She kept on denying her guilt but I learnt that the only thing I could trust is evidence and right now, the evidence were clear. 

I saw the guards walking her away, it's not my first time in court seeing somebody taken away, but this time it was different. 

I saw a pure form of innocence in her eyes that for a second, made me doubt the decision I made 6 months ago of arresting her. This was the first time I ever felt such feeling, like I was wrong. 

I brushed the feeling as I walked towards Victoria and Alenia to check on them. They didn't seem happy nor upset. Probably still processing what happened. 

" I spoke to the jury they said you can live in the house until it is auctioned in 2 months you must find somewhere else by then. " 

"Thank you very much I will be leaving in a week, Alenia is going to London she said she would like to start studying and I don't see a reason why not, we have enough money to complete her education after that we will manage." Victoria announced. 

"Very well, I hope you two the best of luck ever and staying happy. If you ever need anything, you can directly reach me and I will help you" 

"Thank you for your kindness. " Alenia answered this time and I left the courtroom. 

It felt nice to bring a change into someone's life, I helped a young woman have a new life where she could be something, who knows, maybe she will.