The Roderick

Drew

Tony and his craziness with a newborn. I chuckle and look at the standing frame on my desk. In the picture Ocean is holding Aidan. He was a baby back then, while Char was standing in front of me. My left hand draped on her shoulders while my right hand at Ocean's waist. Ocean's face looked perfect in the picture but I know it was makeup. She was recovering from giving birth to Aidan. Aidan Theodore Johannes Roderick, our second child, he has my winter grey eyes and my face shape, but he has Ocean's perfect nose and mouth. His hair is dark brown like Charlene, of course, since Ocean and I have dark brown hair so does Fi and Brit, except Ocean often dye her hair. Like now, she is sporting dark blonde hair. After all, my wife is a successful fashion consultant. She has to follow the trend to keep her image.

I still remember that day when Ocean gave birth to Aidan. Ocean was having a contraction, Aidan is due anytime. So I took her to the hospital. Char also went to the hospital with my dad and Elena. They were in LA, waiting for Aidan to come out. Because the doctor told us Aidan had to come in that week or they should induce him to come out from his mommy's womb. Turned out a day before the induction, Aidan decided he was ready to make his debut. I was inside with Ocean in the delivery room. The opening was full, the doctor asked Ocean to push the baby out.

After a while I could hear Aidan's voice. I was so happy. The doctor gave Aidan to me. I hug my son, my heart filled with my love for him. Suddenly Ocean's hand fell from my arm. I looked at her, she was so pale and her eyes closed. The beep from the machine made things worse. I looked around. The doctor and nurses panicked. They took Aidan from me and said they need to clean up the newborn and all the normal things you have to do to the newborn and they asked me to leave the room because they needed to help Ocean.

Turned out, Ocean was hemorrhaging. When the doctor told us. Dad and I were hyperventilating. Elena was panicked with Ocean and our reaction, Char too. Thank God Meredith and Christian came. Christian took care of Char while Meredith tried to calm me down. Meredith was pregnant with Max back then and was due in a few weeks.

Mom was hemorrhaging while she gave birth to me. I couldn't think of anything else back then. What if Ocean couldn't wake up like mom?

Few minutes later the doctor came out and told us they managed to stabilize Ocean's condition and she already opened her eyes even only for a few seconds.

They sent my wife to the room. I kept holding Ocean's pale's hand and praying for her to open her eyes. I still remember the relieved feeling I felt when Ocean's hand moved and she opened her eyes. Gave me a small and weak smile.

I laughed and cried. I hugged Ocean and cried in her hug. I didn't care that our friends were there. I almost lost her. I couldn't imagine my life without her. Char's life without her, not to mention Aidan.

Char was crying too. She kept crying and couldn't stop. She was a little bit shocked from all the scenes. After all she was already 4 years old back then. She could absorb things around her quite well. Elena had to take her outside the room to calm her down.

Later when we came home, Elena and dad stayed in our penthouse, helping us take care of the newborn since Ocean was too weak to take care of Aidan. After 2 weeks Elena and dad had to go back to NYC. So it was just us.

Thank God for Char, she was helping a lot, taking care of her brother at night, helping me and her mom. We were lucky to have Betsy in the morning, but we couldn't ask her to stay at night too. So it was just Char and me. We took care of Aidan. It was a crazy few months. Every day felt like we were walking without direction. I knew Char was so stressed back then. I did too. But we managed alright and finally Ocean recovered. Thanks to our friends and family who kept coming and supporting us, even those who lived in NY also spared their time to come to LA for us.