Chapter 14 - Babysitting

"Why can't I go with?" Davi asks.

"So," I squat to his level after zipping up his coat. "You know how your mom takes you sometimes?" He nods. "Well, today I'm going to do the same, except today is special because we're going out to explore the greatest city in the world! How's that sound?"

"Fun," he starts to giggle.

"Good," I grin at him. "Now, let's call your dad to let him know where we're heading."

I find myself holding Davi's hand as the crosswalk changes and the crowds in the street corners begin to cross.

"It's so cold!" Davi exclaims.

"Winter in New York," I tell him. "Everyone's favorite. Glad I made you wear those extra layers, huh?"

"I guess," is all he says.

"We're here," I smile as the museum shows up on our right.

"It's huge," Davi examines.

"National Museum of Natural History," I say. "You're gonna love this place."

Two and a half hours later of pointing, photo taking, and walking throughout this colossal museum and Davi and I were at the peak of our fatigue.

"Like this," Davi spoke as he took my hand in his and moved the toy car he got with his meal in another direction.

I smiled at him then took a fry from his tray and got him to stop paying attention to his new toy.

"Hey!" He exclaimed.

I raised both my eyebrows at him as I chewed on the fry.

"Davi," I spoke once I finished.

"Hm?" He looked up as he bit a piece of his chicken nugget.

"You mentioned wanting to visit your dad," I lean my head on my hand. "Do you always want to visit him when he's away at a photo shoot?"

"I always want to visit him whenever," he spoke. "I never get to see him and when I do it's only for a little while. I'm always with my mom and if she's not around I'm with my grandma or someone, like you. I like being with you though, a lot."

"Why is that?"

"You remind me of my dad, but you're motherly like my mom," he blushes.

"I like you too, kid," I smile and take another one of his fries. "Too much."

After we eat, we head over to the Disney Store, Nintendo World, the Lego Store, and a quick ride on the Staten Island Ferry.

"Where to now?" Davi looks up at me as I call for a cab.

"We're going to go pick up your dad," I say as a yellow cab stops in front of us.

"Taxi!" Davi yells and hops in excitedly.

"111 8th Ave, please," I tell the cab driver.

"How come we've never taken a cab before?" Davi asks.

"You'll see," I say as I take off my gloves and fix the shopping bags in the back seat. "I'm doing it cause we have time to kill."

On our way to the Nike Headquarters that we were headed to in order to pick up Neymar, the cab driver makes his way uptown on West Street.

He makes a right on West 14th St and I keep my eyes on the view.

We cross right under The High Line and I think back to when I was showing James around and I told him I was dating Neymar and we were in love. As the park leaves my view I sink back in the leather seat and look down at my ring. As I twist it, I find myself pouting having just realized what that look on James' face was- disappointment.

We make the left on 8th Ave and stop right in front of the building.

"Keep the timer going," I tell the driver. "We're waiting for someone."

Five minutes later and Neymar steps out of the building.

Davi steps out of the cab and Neymar is surprised to see him, but pulls him up into a hug.

"Wait here," I tell the driver as I step out of the cab.

I walk behind the car and onto the pavement to greet Neymar.

"This is a nice surprise, Kat," he smiles before I leave a kiss on his cheek.

"I thought we could take a cab or train home," I smile.

"Good idea," Neymar smiles.

"Neymar," the guy behind him speaks. "The cab we ordered is here already."

"John," Neymar puts Davi down and faces the guy who just spoke. "This is Kat. Kat, this is John- the new head publicist and communications manager at Barcelona."

"Oh," I smirk. "Sounds like an intriguing job," I joke about my old job.

"It is," he simply states. "It'd be easy if Neymar would stick to his agenda."

"Let me get the bags out of the taxi and put them in your cab," I point over at the cab.

"Let me help you," Neymar says. "Davi stay with John."

After Neymar tried for five minutes to get rid of John, he finally managed to do so and got in the cab with Davi and me.

"You were so not that clingy," Neymar sighs as he shuts the car door.

"That means, maybe, the other guys on the team miss me," I smile and bite my tongue.

"You're damn right they miss you," Neymar looks over at me and smiles.

"Dad! Dad! Look at what I bought today!" Davi exclaims as he pulls one of his many toys out of a bag.

"Wow!" Neymar says and takes the toy from Davi.

I sit back in my seat smiling at the two of them.

"How was he?" Neymar asks as I pass him another beer.

He was sat on the edge of the couch, feet on the coffee table. I had to step over his legs to sit next to him.

Davi was fast asleep in my room and Neymar and I were on our third beers.

"Great," I smile before taking a sip from my bottle.

"Thanks for coming to pick me up," Neymar says sincerely.

"Davi really loves you," I say. "And he wants to spend as much time with you as possible. Why don't the two of you go out tomorrow?"

"Did he say something?"

"I asked. It kills me to think he feels estranged from his own father," I say.

"Imagine how it feels for me," he says. "I barely get to see him as much as I used to."

"Is the fame getting to you at all yet?" I look over to him.

"Duh," he jokes before finishing his bottle of beer.

"Once more with feeling," I punch his arm slightly. "Another one?" I get up and put one leg over his.

"No," Neymar says and puts a hand on my thigh.

I look down at it then at him.

"Sorry," he says and takes his hand away.

I sit back down next to him and look at him.

"I've been talking to my friends and I've been thinking it over," I start. "I want to go to Madrid and see James."

"Oh," Neymar looks a bit taken aback and sits up. "Didn't you not want to see him-"

"I miss him, and I kind of have feelings for him and-"

"I see," he nods. "Go for it."

"I'll buy my plane ticket right now," I sit up.

"Don't let the one you love go," he says before standing up. "I'm gonna take Davi to the Statue of Liberty tomorrow, early, before our flight."

"That'd be great," I smile up at him and he smiles a bit and nods.

"Sweet dreams, Kat."

"Sweet dreams, Neymar."