Chapter 22

"Ryleigh, Sarah's here!" "Coming" I look myself over in the mirror, nodding. Nothing too dressed up, just something casual, some dark jeans, a black shirt and the jacket my aunt made thrown over top of it along with some vans. I make sure my hair looks fine before walking down the stairs where Sarah and Wendy were chatting while Snowball kept trying to get Sarah's attention.

"There she is" Aunt Wendy smiles. I take in Sarah's outfit, looking her over. "You look beautiful" I smile. "Thanks. So do you" Sarah smiles. I head into the kitchen, grabbing something before heading back towards her. "Some flowers for the lady" I holds it out to her. "You didn't have to get me anything" Sarah says but by the smile on her face, I knew she appreciated it.

"Ryleigh came home and immediately put those in water." Aunt Wendy smiles widely. "Thank you, Wendy. Don't you have a dress you're working on?" "Oh" She shoves my shoulder playfully, turning to look at Sarah. "You two have fun and don't stay out too late. And don't do anything too dangerous either. I don't want a repeat of last week" She warns us.

"You've got it" Sarah nods. I hold out my elbow for Sarah and she loops hers through it. "Have fun!" I motion for her to stop it as she waves us out the door. I open the driver's side door for Sarah and she smiles appreciatively, climbing in. I get into the passenger seat. "I feel like I should be doing this for you" "Don't worry about it. I've already got it covered" I wink and she nods, starting the car.

"So, where are we going?" "You drive, I'll give directions" I pull out my phone. "You can't tell me?" "It's a surprise, Sarah." I tell and she shrugs. She starts to drive and I give her directions. "So, how are things? You know, with the whole fledgling thing?" I bring up. "It'd be good if the blood substitute Benny's Grandma had given me tasted better" Sarah sighs out. "What's it taste like?" "It's hard to describe" She sighs.

"Do you have one with you?" She motions into the back and I reach back, picking up a gold juice box. "Blood in a juice box?" I ask. "Yep. Guess she's used to packing nerd lunches" She quips. "Hey. She packs mine sometimes" "My point proven" "Ha, ha. Very funny" I laugh sarcastically. I look over the box, finding side effects on the side.

"May cause nausea, dizziness, irritability, bloating, and sleep drooling" I list off before looking over at her. "Geez. You sure you can't find anything better to drink" "I'm not drinking from rats again" "I don't think their blood would cause sleep drooling. It'd be worse if you already sleep drool though. Do you?" "What a fun conversation to have on a date" She emphasizes the word date, sending me a look.

"It was just a question, Sarah. Shouldn't I know this stuff if we might be girlfriend/girlfriend. I'd like to know if I'm gonna roll over into a puddle of drool in the morning" "Seriously, Ryleigh?" I hold up my hands innocently, throwing the box back into the back seat. "Take the next left" She does as I say.

"So, what about you? How was the hospital?" "You know...a hospital. I hadn't been there since I was little" "Like, been in a hospital or had to go to one because you got hurt?" "Both" Sarah nods, glancing over at me curiously. "My mom died when I was little." I inform her, looking out the window. "Oh...I'm so sorry, Ryleigh. I thought you said they were workaholics" Sarah brings up.

"I wouldn't have really considered ourselves friends then. I mean sure you're..." I glance over at her and she raises an eyebrow. "You" "What does that mean?" "You're a hot, vampire, junior that was only talking to us because Erica had been hired to babysit but you took the job for her instead. And I'm just a freshman that watches old movies and likes superheroes and whatever else you find nerdy or whatever. I just didn't think we could be friends then. So, I didn't tell you the truth" I sigh out.

"Do you think we're friends now?" "You know what I think" I scoff, looking over at her. Sarah slowly nods. "Take this right" She takes the right and we start going up a steep hill. "Where are we going?" Sarah wonders. "The best place in town" "There's something up here?" I just nod. We make it onto the top of the hill which was on a sort of cliff and she parks the car.