03 | Delinquents

- HIRAETH THREE -
| DELINQUENTS |
n. usually a young person who regularly performs illegal or immoral acts.

- · · — · · -
Atsushi Nakajima
October 25 – 4:50 AM
- · · — · · -

SOMEHOW, Chuuya and Atsushi were caught and were brought into one of the rooms in the two-floor building. The floor was centered with tatami mats where a futon mattress was placed. Rice paper lanterns hanging from the ceilings as the cream-colored walls complemented the wooden furnitures.

Of course, courtesy of a certain President of some sort and a curious boy.

Actually assuming they'd get beaten up or get thrown back to government authorities, they were more than surprised when they were offered a bowl of Chazuke.

"Rampo, didn't I tell you to make something lighter for the stomach?"

"But the boy there said he liked tea on rice." The young boy, named Ranpo pointed.

Atsushi was eating agressively, sipping every piece of food on the bowl and drinking the remaining tea before asking for more.

Chuuya remained staring at his food, bothering the two, "What? You don't like Chazuke or something?"

"Not that," He pouted angrily, "What if.. this food.. is poisoned?!"

Hearing that, Atsushi accidentally spitted out everything, staining the old man's clothing.

"Aaaah! I'm so sorry!! After you fed me poison and everything, aah!!! I don't deserve this food anymore!" He cried, using his ragged wet outfit to clean the filthed scarf.

"It's fine, boy. And the food's not poisoned." He said, rubbing the child's tears. He sure cries a lot, huh?

"You should get changed. You can have that trenchcoat if you like, it's just an old outfit for a little girl back then." He said, remembering his days when he was a bodyguard, "But you should wear that sleepwear for tonight."

"T-Thank you.. Mr..?"

"Fukuzawa. Yukichi Fukuzawa."

——

Yukichi Fukuzawa
Ability: All Men are created Equal

——

"Thank you, Yuki-san!"

Ranpo did a spit take right then and there. Bearing his laughter, he started poking Nakajima in the face for some odd reason.

"That's Fukuzawa-san to you, young boy..!" The old man slightly blushed in embarrassment before looking at the bright innocent eyes of the boy.

Now he might be straightforward and serious but cute things are things he just can't resist! "Alright then, fine- you can call me anything you want."

Seeing this, the young boy cackled louder, "Didn't know you were such a joker, Atsushi-kun!"

"How did you know my name..?"

"Well, Chuuya-kun told me so!"

"Hey, I did not!" Chuuya argued, "But, either way, how do you know, Mr. Fancy Hat?"

"You're the one who loves hats so much."

"How did- Bah! Don't change the subject! How do you know our names?"

"Well, looking at you two." He said, pulling down a pair of glasses, "You're both Government escapees, am I right?"

Chuuya's hands slammed on the table, "So you were planning on sending us back, huh?!"

"Oh, no, no. We wouldn't do that. After all," He grinned, "We're not cruel enough to send you back to hell."

"You–"

"Ah, I see," Fukuzawa intervened, "Atsushi came from the Seisa Orphanage and you must be the Chuuya Nakahara, the Sheep Rogue and lab defect."

"Seisa Orphanage is the one with the rampaging tiger that appears every night, right, President?"

"How dangerous."

Chuuya gradually stood on his feet, it's not his fault that he's starting to become suspicious of this duo. Arguing again on how he and Atsushi were about to leave-

"Rampo deduced that something was going on in those two places, so I can assure you we're on no one's side."

"Then we better leave before you pick the other side." The redhead grunted.

Fukuzawa sighed, "If you insist then I can't-"

"No." Ranpo cut through the president's speech and stopped the two from leaving.

"What?"

"You have two choices - to leave or not to leave." He said in a serious manner, "If you were to leave, you're likely- no, you will get caught again and brought back to those place. If you aren't going to leave, then you'll be able to get stronger and gain experience, the government would also stop pestering you."

"Quit spouting lies and made-up crap!" Chuuya yelled, "I hate people like you. Liars."

"I'm not lying. Trust me, Chuuya-kun." Ranpo said sincerely and sternly. His voice didn't feel manipulative nor did it feel like there was a plan behind such words. He had confidence in himself and everything he says, as if he knows that it will and is the truth.

"What.. just.. Who.. are you?" Chuuya asked, somewhat trustingly.

"Your soon-to-be World's Greatest Detective, Ranpo Edogawa." He grinned, "Be glad you met me before I become famous for my ability!"

——

Ranpo Edogawa
Ability: Ultra Deduction

——

Chewing his chin, both Atsushi and Chuuya knew most of what he said was inevitable, and possibly the most predictable thing to happen to them.

Wording that in front of them just made their doubts on survival a lot worse. Should they believe them and follow along blindly? Should they just ditch these people and live their own life?

Even so.. Atsushi and Chuuya had one thing in common. They're both adamant in living.

Reluctant at first, they both had a clear conclusion.

"Alright then, you bought us.." Chuuya said, a little ashamed of his former accusations, "If we're still allowed.. can.. can we stay here..?"

A smile crept up on Ranpo's face before handing his hand out to be formal, "You're most welcome, Atsushi-kun, Chuuya-kun."

.

.

.

.

.

| HIRAETH THREE - DELINQUENTS
| Written On: Nov. 15, 2020
| Published On: Dec. 12, 2020

‹ Schoolworks doesn't go well with a cup of laziness. ›