16 - Truth Behind

DREI

"Hey, relax. Hindi naman nangangain ng tao parents ko."

Tin returned an uneasy smile before shifting her gaze towards the car window. I've never seen her this nervous. Ngayon lang. Kanina pa siya tahimik but it's as if I could hear her thoughts sa kaka-hinga niya nang malalim. We're on our way to my parents' house and for some reason, parang sobrang tensionado nitong si Tin. Para sa isang babaeng nagpapahabol sa frat, hindi ko naiintindihan. Ayaw niya kaya sa mga pulitiko?

"They do know I'm coming with you, right?", Tin asked.

"Well..."

"Oh my gosh, don't tell me I'm simply crashing your parents' anniversary?", napahawak siya sa ulo niya.

"Calm down. They know I'm bringing someone. Sabi ko lang surprise kung sino.", I answered.

"Why did you have to say it like that?"

"Like what?", my forehead creased.

"Wala. You should've said you're bringing a friend para straightforward.", Tin replied, crossing her arms.

Ngumiti lang ako at patuloy na nag-drive. That's the thing. I won't just introduce her as a friend. Sasabihin ko kina Daddy na si Tin yung babaeng liligawan ko. Matagal na ring sumasakit ang ulo nila with the way I date. At least now I could tell them that finally, I've found my match.

It took us an hour to reach our home in Parañaque. I parked the car in the garage and went to Tin's side to open the car door for her.

She got down, giving me a better view of how beautiful she looked tonight in her lavender dress.

"Thanks for being with me, Tin.", I said sincerely. Akala ko talaga di siya papayag when I invited her, pero buti na lang she said yes.

"Natatakot ako.", she replied, looking at me. The fear in her eyes looked so foreign to me. Lagi kasi siyang matapang. I wanted to be the one to take that fear away this time.

I gently took her hand and guided her arm around mine.

"Akong bahala. Tatambay lang tayo sa lumpia station.", I said, smiling.

She slapped my arm and rolled her eyes. Gustong-gusto ko naman.

"Puro ka kalokohan."

"Chill ka lang kasi. Di naman kita pababayaan.", I said as we walked together along the garden path leading to the front door.

The party wasn't big, but it wasn't small either. Medyo malaki kasi ang pamilya namin at siyempre marami na ring naging friends sina Daddy over the years, being public officials. Invited din yung staff nila. My parents have always been humble and down-to-earth, part of the reason I'm proud of them despite the challenge of being their son.