Chapter 8

Remember I'm jumping a bit until the set storyline develops. The fun starts Season 2.

****

They found the trail of Jasper's blood, as awful as it was. After another hour of following the blood trail, Murphy heard moaning. "What the hell was that?"

Clarke turned to Bellamy. "Now would be a good time to take out that gun." He nodded, but only placed his hand on the holster, stepping with her into a clearing. Clarke spotted Jasper strung up in a tree. She ran towards him before she could really think about it- and then she was falling.

"Clarke!"

Her arm was caught instantly. She looked up at Bellamy's terrified face. They both took in the spikes that would have impaled her if he hadn't been by her side.

He pulled her up quickly, keeping a firm grip on her arm as he set her on her feet. "Alright?" Clarke nodded shakily, turning away to look up at Jasper in the tree.

"We need to get him down."

"I'll climb up there and cut the vines," offered Finn, carefully stepping around the trap.

"Yeah, I'm with you." Wells moved to follow, till Finn held up his hands.

"No. Stay with Clarke. And watch him."

Bellamy glared at Finn; Clarke laid her hand on his arm. He took a breath and rolled his eyes at Finn's back as he disappeared up the tree with Murphy.

"What's up with you two?" asked Wells accusingly. Clarke dropped her hand and stepped away.

"Spacewalker should watch his back more than mine," grumbled Bellamy.

"Leave it, Bellamy. You've not exactly been welcoming since we landed." Bellamy huffed at this but didn't deny it.

"Wait, Clarke, you know him? Like, from before the dropship?"

Clarke shrugged. "He was my guard in confinement till he got transferred." And, despite her efforts, bitterness still seeped into her tone. Enough that Bellamy looked at her, stepping up so she had to look at him or his shoes. She chose the shoes.

"I didn't get transferred, Princess. O was taken and I got demoted." Clarke looked up at him. "If I'd only been transferred, I still would have been able to-" But he cut himself off and glanced at Wells, then moved closer to the tree to watch Finn and Murphy cut Jasper down. He'd been wearing his uniform on the Dropship. Clarke didn't understand, but she believed him.

"Clarke-" Wells began, but she moved to Bellamy's side.

"Be careful," she needlessly told Murphy. Following her words, a rumble was heard.

"What the hell was that?"

"Grounders?"

Bellamy looked around; Clarke moved further into the clearing to get a look. At the edge, she spotted movement. A feline animal crept along the trees, growling, red eyes finding Clarke's lone figure. It jumped into a sprint, making its way towards her.

"Bellamy!"

He was already there, gun drawn and fired before his name left her lips. The animal, a jaguar, yelped as the bullet hit its chest. It thrashed a moment but fell silent quickly after.