Chapter 7

*pant*
*pant*
*pant*

"No..."

Naruto was thrown between shock and disbelief.

The last Shinobi had died.

It was official now.

They were the last ones left.

Naruto collapsed, his eyes rolling to the back of his head.

"Naruto.." Sasuke caught him before he could hit the ground.

Shikamaru walked towards the blonde, "it's amazing how long he lasted. For the past week he's been fighting on adrenaline alone."

Neji sighed, "He's an idiot"

"Yeah well this idiot saved us countless times, we owe him our lives." Sasuke commented, holding Naruto up.

"Neji find a cave, we need somewhere to set up camp." Shikamaru's gaze settled on the Hyuuga

Veins worked it's way on his cheeks, Neji looked over the scorched land.

"Over there" Neji pointed east.

They started making their way too the cave that seemed a few miles out from how Neji was pointing.

    = + + + + - + + + + =

*crackling*

They all stared into the blazing flame that was slithering into all different sizes.

Sometimes the breeze blew, and the fire grew a little stronger.

Sometimes it got low to the point they thought it was going to burn out.

Shikamaru sighed, the silence was comforting but he also felt that creeping shadow of darkness that lingered with it.

"What are we going to do now?"

The golden question.
It seemed to be burned into everyone's minds because of all the pondering looks that was amongst the faces around the fire.

"We should probably wait till the Blonde wakes up." Sasuke spoke in a soft spoken voice. He had his knees up against his chest, staring into the abyss of the fire.

"Hm, that might take a few days. He's been keeping everyone safe and neglected his own body."

Neji hummed in agreement, "We should probably try to gather all the resources we can."

Nods followed around the fire. Silence quickly followed, the only sound heard was the crackling of the wood sparking under the brutal heat.

"What if he doesn't wake up..." Sasuke whispered in a hushed tone almost inaudible, but the other two definitely heard it. Sasuke had just voiced his concerns out loud, if he was younger, people probably would've thrown him in a cell demanding him to tell them who he was working for and where was the real Uchiha Sasuke.

"He wouldn't give up on us like that. Plus the Kyuubi wouldn't allow that to happen, so stop it with the pessimism." Neji scolded.

                = + + + + - + + + + =

2 weeks in

Naruto was definitely showing signs of waking up, which filled the other three's chest up a rimming joy.
Neji and Shikamaru wouldn't admit it, but they had hovering doubts that laid under all the dull pain.
They weren't always sure what the Blonde was thinking, he was always so unpredictable.

Shuffling echoes throughout the cave, Naruto was finally coming to his senses as he sat up.

All three of them were brimming with a sudden relief, that the part that was missing from their small family would soon be returning to fill that void only that person could fill.

...They couldn't deny what they saw..

That achingly dry expression made all three of them cringe.

Then Naruto looked up and noticed his three frien- no brothers. He had to stay strong, for them, he couldn't allow them to see him break.
He was their shimmering light of hope and he had to keep that fire singing.

They felt a deep pang in their heart when they saw Naruto cover and hide the bellowing pain that only grew inside.

Shikamaru sighed.. he been doing that a lot lately. They had already came to the terms that Naruto was the most broken out of all four of them. He had gained more, that's exactly how he lost more.

They wouldn't force or push him, he would reach out to them on his own, But when it becomes to much to bare on his own they will step in.

They all huddled around Naruto, facing him.

"So what are we going to do Hokage-sama?"

Naruto visibly tensed to the name. Naruto in no way felt like the Kage he once was, he had failed his people. His village..

"I- please.. do not call me that.." Naruto spoke a calm wavering voice.

"I don't see why not, last time I checked you were our Hokage and you saved us many times. Times that even I don't think we deserved." Sasuke came out a little sassy but he was trying to get his point across and the sassy tone justified the bitterness he felt.

He felt bitter, and guilty. Naruto had saved him over his own father. He's sure if he was here, he would say just the right words to cheer the blonde up. They may have spent 2 years doing practically everything together but they all were very complicated. Every time one would get close to completely figuring out the other person, that person would do a complete 180.
Though they do have a growing suspicion that Naruto figured out all three of them and just didn't say anything.
Almost neither of them could come close to figuring out the blonde, somehow, subconsciously Naruto had thick walls surrounding him and even he himself is probably not aware of this.
Though they do know his personality, and that personality made them want to follow Naruto wherever he may go. They may not be able to completely understand the stuff he does sometimes or even what he says, but all they need to know is this blonde has the heart and the will to keep moving forward every time when things got rough.

"Well, to answer your question, I have no idea."

They deflated a bit, Really, they were depending on Naruto to have at least a clue of what to do.

Naruto put his fingers on his chin in a thinking manner, "Well I guess we should travel around, and stock up on resources"