Heartbeat

Timing is everything, especially for this plan. I can already hear Luke giving me a huge speech about how reckless and stupid this is. I pull back branches and step over logs. I keep my footsteps light because the last thing I want to do is alert the forest full of werewolves that I, an injured human and not to mention unprotected Luna is roaming the woods alone.

I retraced my steps. Standing where I found Isabel, I can see everything. It's a great vantage point. I'll have to show the boys sometime.

It's quiet, too quiet. I sent the boys 10 minutes ago. They should've found them by now. As if on cue I noticed a flock of startled birds that emerged from the tops of trees in front of me. Something frightened them, taking into account the speed of werewolves and the time it took me to get back to the pack house and to send out the boys, the distance is about right. There is no doubt in my mind that that's where the intruders are. That's where my boys are. That's where I should be.

I was about to race off in that direction but I stopped myself. I'm leading with my heart and not my head. Anyone with a brain would know that it would be suicide. I also have to think of the pack. Realistically no matter how much I play up my abilities, I will only be a distraction. Nothing I can say will go against their natural instinct to protect me. I will be of no use, they will make sure of that. So I kept my position, willing my mind to stop imagining all the scenarios of Luke laying on the floor dead.

There is method to my madness. This entire adventure may seem futile but trust me it's not. I gave the boys their positions, they'll attack from the sides and have cut off their escape over the border. So the only logical escape route is this way. It's risky but not as risky as sticking around.

The trees rustling caught my attention. I crouched, making my body as small as possible hoping that I would go unnoticed. The disruption was moving fast and just in front of me. I caught a glimpse of the brown hair that I saw only minutes before. It was like a red flag to a bull.

I jumped to my feet ignoring the dizziness that overcame me. Luckily she seems to be running in a straight line, more or less. I followed her pattern but ensured I was a few meters in front of her. It's been drilled into me ; aim where they're going not were they've been. I can't afford to let her get past me.

With time on my side I hide behind a tree and waited until I could feel the ground vibrate. Her shallow breathes and not so dainty feet gave me her position. Without a second thought I leaped from the behind the tree and threw her off balance. No matter your size or strength with the element of surprise even a twig could take you down.

She was easy to take down but damn she scratched. We struggled and rolled around on the floor for a bit but I was starting to get bored so I put an end to our little game. I pinned her to the floor by resting my feet either side of her torso, pinning her hands above her head with one of my own. I laid my forearm across her trachea, slightly adding pressure not enough to restrict her breathing or speaking but just enough to make her sweat.

Once she realised that I wasn't budging she gave up the fight. It's the first time i've been able to see her face. She looks royally pissed off and familiar. Once we made eye contact she grew furious, started lashing out and spat at me. At first I couldn't understand why but two simple words put everything into perspective.

"He's mine."

I have to admit she's a better blonde and her oompa loompa is fading, no wonder I didn't recognise her. Amanda. The bitch that pushed Simon down the stairs and tried to become Luna.

"What are you still doing here" Honestly I thought i'd be the one asking that question.
"You are no longer a member of this pack, it does not concern you." I added a bit of pressure to emphasise my point.