Chapter 4

HELENA'S POV

As usual, we finished setting up for the party hours before anyone was set to arrive. We all sat around the living room in silence, scrolling on our phones lazily, unsure of how we should spend the next two hours.

On impulse, I decided to text the Onceler. 

As much as I was annoyed by everyone's teasing about us, I couldn't deny that there was some truth to it. As children, we had been best friends, and our parents would often joke about us getting married one day. I never thought I would see him again after he moved away, and then out of nowhere, he suddenly appeared at my university. It seemed like kismet. 

But, no--I couldn't. I had promised myself I would stay single this semester, focusing on myself and my schoolwork. After things ended last year with John Paul Jones, I had decided it would be best to take time for myself. 

My phone buzzing pulled me out of thoughts. It was the Onceler.

Hey! Super excited for the party tonight.

Before I could stop and think, I found myself pressing send on my reply.

Me too! Do you wanna come by early? We're done setting up and I'm bored. It could give us some time to catch up!

As soon as the message was sent, I felt butterflies in my stomach, and blushed.

"Ooh, who ya textin'?" Julia said coyly. 

"Shut up!" I said, playfully throwing a pillow at her. 

"I knew it! She's texting the Onceler!" Julia squealed.

Everyone let out a collective, "Ooh!"

I sighed. Part of me wanted to talk about my budding feelings for the Onceler, but the other part of me wanted to deny those feelings. 

"Is it okay if he maybe comes over a bit early? Just so we can talk." I said.

"Of course!" Shauna smiled. 

"I don't even know if he will. I just asked him, and--"

My phone buzzed. It was him.

That sounds great! I've gotta eat dinner, I can be over in an hour or so?

"He'll be here in an hour." I said.

The girls smiled at me playfully. 

"Of course he said he'd come over early, Helena, he likes you!" Julia said.

"Duh, we saw the way he was looking at you the other day." Maria said.

"Ugh, guys..." I groaned.

"Oh, come on, Helena. Look me in the eye and tell me you don't like him." Julia said.

I stared at Julia and took a deep breath, "I don't like him." I said, trying my hardest to put on a good poker face.

"Liar!" She squealed, and her and Maria erupted into giggles. 

"Fine! Maybe I like him a little bit. Maybe. But it doesn't matter! I decided to be single this semester, and that's what I'm going to do! Anyway, it's just a small crush--totally not a big deal." I said exasperated.

"Well that's fine! I mean, we totally understand that," Julia said, "Just don't lie to us about it!"

"You're right, you're right. But you guys could ease up a little on the teasing, too!" I said.

"Deal." Julia smiled.

When the doorbell rang an hour or so later, I gave the girls a serious look. I meant what I said about the teasing. Even if I did have a little bit of a crush on the Onceler, I cared more about our friendship. I didn't want their teasing to get in the way of that. 

The girls nodded, and I made my way over to the front door. 

Instead of wearing his usual grey outfit, the Onceler was dressed in an eye-catching green suit, complete with matching sunglasses and a tall black top hat with a green stripe. 

"Wow! You look great!" I said.

"I could say the same about--uhh, who are they?" The Onceler said, pointing behind me. 

I turned around to see the three different sized men materializing again in our entryway. I rolled my eyes.

"Sorry, that's--nothing. They do that sometimes." I sighed.

"Hey, Julia, can you take care of this?" I yelled.

"Already on it." Julia said, loading her handgun. 

"Come on, let's go to my room." I took the Onceler's hand and lead him up the stairs as three gunshots rang out from behind us. 

When we reached my room, I made sure to leave the door open. I didn't want any speculation about me and the Onceler coming from the girls later. 

"Cool room." The Onceler said, eyeing my vintage Wiggles' 1998 world tour poster. 

"Thanks. You know them?" I asked.

"Are you kidding me? Fruit Salad? Captain Feathersword? Henry the Octopus? Those are classics!" The Onceler said. 

"Wow, you know your stuff." I said. 

The Onceler sat down in a bean bag chair in the corner of my room, and I sat down on my bed. 

"I was so surprised when I saw you in class. After you moved, I thought I'd never see you again!" I said.

"I know, I was surprised, too. And to think, if I hadn't transferred out of University of Thneedville, we probably wouldn't have!" 

"What made you decide to transfer?" I asked.

"I--I'd rather not talk about it..." The Onceler said lowly, looking at his feet.

"Oh, that's--that's okay!" I said. 

We sat there in silence, and I felt like kicking myself. A moment ago we had been getting along so well, just like when we were kids! It felt easy and natural. Now, neither of us knew what to say. I wondered what secrets the Onceler was keeping. What was so bad that he couldn't tell me?

"So... The Wiggle's, right?" I tried.

"Yeah, I love them." The Onceler said, instantly brightening up. My heart fluttered at his smile. 

"Have you heard their John Peel sessions?" I asked.

"What? Do you have it?" The Onceler said, his mouth hanging open.

"Of course I do! It was a super rare find, but I have it on vinyl." I said.

"No way!" The Onceler said.

I only nodded, and moved to the record player. 

The Onceler and I sat there, listening to The Wiggles' infectious grooves and talking until we started to hear people piling in for the party downstairs. 

"Come on," I said, standing up, "We can finish the album later. Right now, we've got a party to attend!"

I took the Onceler's hand and lead him downstairs as the screen faded to black.