Chapter 7 - Coffee

"Good morning mom! Wake up mom! Good morning mom, time to wake up mom! Good morning mom! Wake up mom! Good morning mom, time to wake up mommy—!"

BANG.

Emma had struck her radio with her fist, watching it as it propelled to the wall before breaking into pieces on the floor. Not even a minute later, there she was, assembling the pieces back together and setting it back onto her bed stand. It was an old radio that her father had left her years before he passed, and she had kept it all these years. From how many times she had broken that thing, the fact that it was still standing always amazed her.

That morning, she stared at herself in the mirror for a long while. She had to get coffee with Dr. Walter, and there was not a chance she was going to have this conversation with him with that face. Although she had a few makeup items, she never cared to wear any and usually did a few little tweaks for special occasions. But this time, Emma used her mascara, hid the purple bags under concealed, applied a few strokes of blush, and made certain that her lips were glossy.

She never cared about what she wore, but that day she found a classy dress that reach right above her knees, and displayed her curves and figure. A white cardigan to finish the puzzle, and she found black heels from the corner of her bedroom. Then, after she sprayed enough perfume, she left her apartment.

When she arrived to the school, a bit earlier than usual, she made certain not to glance at Dr. Walter's door since she knew she would not be to stop admiring it, and she bolted to her classroom. Her morning courses passed very slow, and all she could think about was her coffee date at lunch time. She even stuttered her words more than usual, and she found herself pausing in between her lectures since her mind wandered way too far.

Finally, the bell signalling lunch rang, and all her students stood from their seats and left her classroom. Before she even had organized all her documents, she heard knocks on her door.

It appeared she hadn't been the only one refreshing their appearance, since Dr. Walter walked in wearing a dress shirt with a nice elegant brown suit over his shoulders, and he had his front hairs gelled backwards. The smell of axe body spray and cologne immediately invaded the whole classroom, although she found it comfortable and relaxing.

Dylan smiled and stepped inside the class, "Are you ready to go?"

"Are we just getting coffee and then leaving?" she asked, hoping he opposed to that idea.

She noticed his jaw tightened before he cleared his throat and glanced elsewhere, "I was thinking we could sit there and chat for a little bit." He seemed embarrassed to have asked that, as if it was a young boy frantically asking a girl on a date. Emma couldn't help but chuckle, and immediately, Dylan raised his head and narrowed his eyes at her, "Or not."

"No," she smiled, "I actually loved that idea."

"Okay, I'll drive."

The entire four minutes of the car ride, both of them were sweating, nervously starting bits of conversations here and there, but both were too intimidated to look at the other. Emma wished she could simply examine the way he drove, noticing from her peripheral view that he had one hand on the top of the steering wheel and his other was against his face, his finger tapping on his bottom lip.

Once they arrived, Dylan parked the car and said, "Since this isn't a date, I don't have to walk around the whole car and open the door for you right?"

"I'm not a pansy," she snorted, opening her door.

He rolled her eyes, whispering under his breath, "I was just asking, meany."

"What was that?"

"Nothing," he stepped out of the car and walked behind her, eyeing the ground to make sure she wouldn't step into a groove or pile of mud that may room her attire. Once they reached the café, she pulled open the door and he helped from behind her, but she inhaled a sharp breath when his chest accidentally pressed against her back.

They stepped inside together, and since it was packed, he pressed the tip of his finger on her back, leaning forward and saying, "Tell me if this makes you uncomfortable, but it's just to make sure you know that I'm here."

Emma thought she would burst into fireworks.

"It's fine," she said quietly, eyeing the line shorten before it was their turn.

Once it was their turn, Emma stepped aside, assuming Dylan would step in front of the order. Instead, he pressed his palm on her hips and returned her in front of him, and instead stayed behind her protectively, being tall enough to speak to the employee from behind Emma.

Emma was a second from melting.

"Yea, just a large blonde coffee, with almond milk cream, a little bit of a caramel syrup and whip cream. And for the lady...." he eyed Emma.

"Just an iced coffee please." She heard Dylan snort from behind her and she glanced over her shoulder, "Is there a problem?"

"How about I get you what I got?"

"But I want an ice coffee—"

"Get both?"

"I'm not getting—"

"Trust me," and he winked, as if knowing it was going to send her into a daze. He got her the iced coffee, and a small of his own, and when the three orders were ready, he grabbed the tray and placed a palm on her back, "Let's go towards that booth."