Chapter Eight: All is Not Lost

Alex’s eyes burned when she woke up the next morning.

            Olivia sat with her back on the adjacent wall. She smiled. “Good morning.”

            “We’re okay”, Alex said, scooting over to Olivia. “We’re going to be just fine.”

            “I know”, Olivia whispered. She leaned over and touched Alex’s lips with the tips of her fingers. She delicately placed her lips on Alex’s.

            Alex smiled over Olivia’s mouth. “When we get found, I want to take some time off with you. Maybe a beach, maybe some mountains; I don’t care where we go. But I want to see somewhere new and pretty damn cool with you.”

            Olivia pulled back and nodded, laughing. “That sounds really nice, Alex.”

            Alex thought about how it would be moving on from her experiences in this basement with Olivia by her, and not completely moving on alone. She thought about how lucky she was to have found Olivia’s love, even in a dark place like this. She was so glad that even though she was in a stranger’s house, how she had been stolen; she found another human being’s unconditional love within sound concrete walls. She smiled to herself.

            “What?” Olivia asked curiously.

            Moisture beaded in Alex’s blue eyes. She closed her eyes and a couple tears escaped.

            “What is it?” Olivia sounded slightly alarmed now. She moved closer to Alex and put her hands on her arms.

            “I love you, Olivia.”

            Olivia felt something stir, deep in her chest. She tipped Alex’s head up with her fingers and pressed her forehead against hers. Her hands tightened on Alex’s arms. “I love you too, Alex. I love you so much.”

            Alex looked up at Olivia. “Olivia, there’s this little song lyric that I always liked, Mumford & Sons.” She sang one verse softly, with that deep, soulful voice of hers:

So give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light.

‘Cause oh, they gave me such a fright.

That I will hold on, as long as you like.

Just promise me we’ll be all right.

            “I said it as a prayer”, she started. “I’ve prayed it every night for a really long time, Olivia. And it’s been answered.” She laughed quietly. “You’re the light.”

            Olivia tilted her head to the side and gave Alex a tiny smile. “You’re going to be okay.” Her voice rose in pitch. “What we have, that’s the hope in the darkness. You see the light. And I see it too, Alex. My light is you.”

……….

            The day went by very slowly.

            They had danced, talked, and played cards for hours. And although this was the least of her worries, Olivia Benson was bored.

            She found a daddy long-leg in the corner by the window. She let it crawl over her fingers before she called to Alex. “Hey Alex, found a spider.”