06. One Dead

CHAOS THEORY.
ONE DEAD.

─────

February 2015

While the bad feeling had shrunk to the size of a pebble, Willow's anxiety had only skyrocketed. Nothing she did, not any breathing exercises or anything, could change that as she wandered out of the mines.

The storm had been fully taken under way, but didn't seem to be hitting the mountain as badly as Willow thought it would be. Her hair started flying around in the wind as she gripped the straps of her pack, moving through the snow as quickly as she could to get away from the mines. She wanted to go back in. See if she could find anything that she had gone in to find.

But with whatever the hell that thing was... Willow wasn't sure she wanted to risk it at the moment.

Walking a bit with her mind jumping all over the place, Willow didn't realize until it was too late that something was making noise up ahead of her.

Stopping, Willow turned her left ear closer to see if she could hear what it was.

"Jesus." A male voice mumbled, holding a light.

Willow sighed, stepping forward and stepping on a branch. It cracked loudly. Fuck. Willow bit her lip before holding her hands up and stepping to where Mike could see her.

"Just me." She mumbled.

Mike sighed, relaxing. "Don't fucking do that."

Willow smiled tightly, glancing over him. He was just in a tank top and she was sure he was freezing his ass off because even Willow had started to feel cold after her encounter in the mines. But there was blood splattered all over him.

"Uh," Her voice shook, "What the fuck happened to you?"

Mike hesitated for a moment. "Jess is dead. Her jaw...it just... Uh, but there was this guy leaving the mines from the scene and I've been following him up the mountain from a distance."

Willow felt like a log had gotten stuck in her throat. She could get the gist of what he had been trying to say. Jessica was dead? Shit.

Willow rubbed her hands over her face. Holy fuck. Yeah, her and Jessica hadn't been good friends since she had started seeing Mike (and breaking girl code) after the break-up, but they were still friends. She had told Emily she wasn't going to stop being friends with Jessica just because Em wasn't anymore, but because Willow was best friends with Matt and Matt and Emily had gotten closer after that whole situation, it did cause a decline in Willow's friendship with Jessica.

And Willow was starting to regret letting that happen.

"Oh, God." Willow breathed out.

"Yeah," Mike grimaced, "What are you doing out here? Why aren't you back at the Lodge?"