8. The last prayer

Aiden's p.o.v.

It's been a day since I've barely escaped them. Jax has talked to me again. It was unsetteling for him that we needed to run from our mate/mates. I don't even know what to think anymore. I should be happy that I'm safe now but I'm not. I couldn't sleep well the whole night even though I now had a new blanket to keep me slightly warmer. I can't help but think that I shouldn't have run from them. I must have a deathwish, I think to myself.

I still need to find another job to make more money. I should look for something after work today.

With that thought in mind, I get up, ready to start my day. As I wash my face, I look over the wounds on me. The black eye has almost faded now but it is still visible. The bridge of my nose looks its normal colour again and the graze on my forehead from the night at the club seemed to be closing up as well but it was reopened yesterday when I hit my head on what I think was the sink.

When Jonathan had come back and I was still there he was really worried when he saw the wound on my forehead. He actually wanted to call an ambulance but I refused over and over again, saying I was fine and that I just pass out a lot and that it's completely normal for me to have these kinds of wounds. Well, I didn't really lie about that when I think back...

I can't help but wish that I had some kind of healing cream to put on my wounds but that is too expensive.

I brush it off and I start to get dressed. I put away the clothes from the dumpster that I wore last night and quickly take my work clothes that fit me perfectly thanks to Jonathan guessing my size. It includes a white shirt with long sleeves, which is hard for me to keep clean with cold water but I try my best. I realize that I tried washing my sweater yesterday and it's still not dry. I'm gonna have to go without it because the wetness will make me even more cold.

I put everything on, trying to be quick because of the cold and then I brush my hair with an old comb I found. I sigh. Time to go.

As I step outside, it is still a dark. I walk fast towards work because it not only warms me up a bit but it helps me be less afraid of potential alphas coming my way. Not that I would have a chance against them.

The yellow bakery comes into view and I'm glad I made it. As I enter with my key, I'm hit with warmth and sigh in relief. The door closes behind me and I lock it again. After that, I make my way towards the back to start doing what I believe is the only thing that will keep me sane these days. I work.

~9 hours later~

Wilder's p.o.v.

We have been looking for him the whole day. It's hard to find one person you don't even know the name of in a city like this.

We have parted ways. I'm going West whereas Noah goes North with Luke and James is searching East. If one of us finds something, then we will tell the others over the mind link. It is pretty cold and I hope my mate is warm. Omegas are usually quite small and frail, so I can only hope that his body can withstand this freezing weather.

I look around as I keep walking and occasionally stop to concentrate on smelling the scent that has kept me up for almost all of the night. I simply cannot stop until I find that scent again.

As I pass a few shops, I come by a bakery with yellow painted door frames. It looks quite nice and I smell fresh baked goods. But as I breathe it in again, there is something sweet underlying that scent. Could it be?....

... My heartrate picks up a bit and I immediately go inside the shop. I'm fully hit by the scent now. It is simply devine and I have to surpress a low moan as the middle aged man in front of me greets me politely. "Hello Sir, what can I do for you today?"