the kids are alright

Triggers/Warnings: Mentions of smut

Author: Philosoferre

Author's Summary: The kids were never supposed to think Steve has a secret girlfriend. Because he doesn't. That's the problem, actually. He has a secret boyfriend, and it's Billy fucking Hargrove.

Steve's phone vibrates, startling Dustin so much that he loses his focus and falls off the road, and Steve somehow ends up in first place. The second the little victory banner appears on the screen, he grabs his phone before Dustin can lay a single finger on it. Dammit, he really needs to put it on silent. He can't have the kids snooping around and accidentally seeing something they shouldn't.

"Aw, no fair," Dustin says, waving his controller around like that'll help him out. "Rematch, Steve. I call a rematch."

Steve shakes his head. "Hey, that's illegal. Besides, we have literally one round left, you'll probably still win. Chill."

He shoves himself in the corner of his couch and tries to block his phone off so that no one can see what he's looking at. He glances at his notifications: it's a text from Billy. Of course. He shouldn't have expected anything else.

Dustin tries to get a peek, but Steve pushes him away. "Ooh, is that your secret girlfriend?" He asks, making gross cooing noises.

Steve's head snaps up, his fingers frozen on his phone screen. "What?"

"Your secret girlfriend," Lucas repeats, from where he's taken over Steve's dad's armchair. Like saying exactly what Dustin said makes things any clearer.

Steve isn't sure he understands what they're saying. "What secret girlfriend?"

Max rolls her eyes, chugs a can of Coke, and steals Steve's abandoned controller. She can play the next round for all he cares; he's now more invested in finding out why the fuck they all seem to think he has a secret girlfriend.

"You know," Max says, shrugging. "Your girlfriend? She keeps texting you, like all the time? Come on, you don't seriously think we haven't noticed."

Steve blinks. Glances down at his phone. Looks back up at their expectant faces.

"Oh," he says smartly.

Shit.

They were never supposed to pay attention to how much time he spends on his phone. They were never supposed to think he has a secret girlfriend. Because he doesn't. That's the problem, actually. He has a secret boyfriend , and it's Billy fucking Hargrove.

Steve looks at his phone again, ignores the way the kids coo at him.

From: Billy <3

steeeevvvvvvveeeeee

pay attention to me bby

sTeVe Im DyInG

"What'd she say?" Dustin asks. He sounds way too excited, like he's the one who got the text and he isn't just weirdly interested in Steve's love life.

Steve flips him off. "God, it's just my mom. Can you guys, like, take a chill pill?"

He waits until Max and Dustin get their round started before he texts Billy back; less prying eyes means he can get away with more shit.

To: Billy <3

stop omg i saw you yesterday

you're so needy