The Buddy System

Triggers/Warnings: N/A

Author: flippyspoon

Author's Summary: Billy becomes pals with Nance. Who knew? Steve smokes weed and sings Fiddler on the Roof. Jonathan maintains.

Notes: This one is a little long but stick with it. It's really good!

Spring 1985

Friday

Billy was actually hoping Karen Wheeler would not answer the door but when she did he was, once again, all charm. He smiled like honey, leaning on one foot, his shirt open to mid-chest just so. He watched Karen melt, feeling the little shiver of satisfaction at getting that reaction out of somebody he had absolutely no intention of following through with.

"Hey, Mrs. Wheeler," Billy said, voice low and sweet.

"Hello, Billy." She flushed, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. She was dressed casual, not in the silky robe get-up she'd been wearing the last time he'd seen her. Now she laid a hand on her chest as if embarrassed by her sweater set. "How are you tonight?"

Billy leaned in the doorway. "Doing just fine, Karen- Oh, gosh. My manners. Mrs. Wheeler, I mean."

She went a bit deeper in the red and waved a hand. "Oh, that's alright. You can call me Karen."

" Karen ," Billy said, and fluttered his eyelashes just a dash. "Got a study date with Nancy tonight. She up there?"

"Yes..." Karen Wheeler smiled, maybe slightly disappointed, and opened the door wide. "Go right ahead. Up the stairs on the left- Oh, would you like something? Soda?"

He followed her inside, pausing with her at the stairway. "Oh, I'm just fine. Maybe I'll catch you later if I need any uh..." His lips curved up, following the innuendo. "Refreshment ."

"Certainly." Mrs. Wheeler nodded and cleared her throat. "Of course."

"Oh, and I'll make sure to leave Nancy's door open," Billy said. "Just so you're not worried about any...hanky-panky." He tossed in a wink for good measure and made his way up the stairs, swinging his butt with a little extra verve, which was likely way too much verve.

At the top of the stairs, Billy's entire demeanor shifted and he leaned in the doorway to Nancy's room. She hadn't noticed him yet as she lay on her stomach atop her bed, pouring over a page of notes. Big plush white wrought iron bed. No stuffed animals, though ceramic cats made a few appearances. Somewhere, there was probably a music box.

"Nancy Wheeler," Billy said loudly, watching her gaze turn to him, though she did not startle. "The princess of Hawkins, Indiana. Wow. This is exactly what I pictured." It wasn't true. He'd thought there would be teddybears and flowery wallpaper and there wasn't.

Nancy eyed him warily. He thought he detected a note of indifference rather than the reflexive disdain he might have expected. "Hey, Billy," she said, sitting up on the bed and crossing her legs under her. "So it's the AP exam you need help with, right? American Lit?"

Billy sneered a little at that. Spring of senior year and Hawkins was just realizing that Billy Hargrove had missed his junior year AP English exam. If he didn't pass the do-over he'd get bumped down to regular dumbass English. Which really didn't matter, he supposed. But it was the principle of the thing.

"I dunno that I need help," he drawled. "So much as I was required to meet with you to study for it."

"Right." She was ignoring his attitude, barely looking at him, her Trapper Keeper open in her lap. Billy found this irritating. "Well, obviously I can only help you up to what my class has covered so far... Although I'm a little ahead. Just don't ask me to explain Flannery O'Connor."