Chapter Two: 226 Miles

As the end of the school year rolled around, Brittany and Santana spent as much time as they possibly could together. Senior Year was the best year they'd had, but it was tinged with sadness. While Santana had accepted the Louisville scholarship, and would be going there in the fall, Brittany had failed to graduate. She was having to re-sit her Senior Year, and for the first time in their relationship, they'd be forced apart by distance.

Lima was only a 4-hour drive from Louisville, so Santana had assured Brittany she'd come home often, but it wasn't going to be the same. They were so used to being around each other every single day, and as Santana's moving date loomed over them, they dreaded it. She'd be moving in the summer, to get to know the city and the state, before classes started.

Santana didn't really want to go; the place just didn't appeal to her. As she watched her friends go off to exciting places like New York and LA, she knew that was where her heart lay, and her mother had kindly given her the money to do it. But she couldn't. That was too far away from Brittany, and it didn't matter where her heart lay, Brittany was always going to be the one to hold it. Louisville was going to have to do.

Brittany felt so mad at herself for not graduating, for being the reason they had this distance between them.

"We would have had to do long-distance either way Brit" Santana smiled sadly "Even if you graduated and went to Purdue, it's still a two-and-a-half-hour drive away"

"But it's shorter than four" Brittany replied, her eyes watering. Being without Santana was going to kill her, she was sure of it.

Santana remained the strong one in the situation, but inside she was panicking too. After all, one of her main love languages was quality time. How was she going to feel rarely seeing Brittany?

When it was time for Santana to move, Brittany came with her, helping her settle in. But the goodbye was awful. Both girls cried so much, and when Brittany had left, Santana felt truly miserable. Brittany visited her again at the end of summer before term started, but the goodbyes only seemed to get harder. She missed Brittany desperately.

They could Skype, they could call each other, but it wasn't the same. Santana felt herself putting it off so many times, telling Brittany she was busy, when really, she was sitting in her room miserable and missing her. Even texting became difficult. It wasn't that she didn't want to speak to Brittany, quite the opposite. It was that it was just too hard. It was never enough and speaking to her made her yearn for Brittany's presence even more.

She came up with a solution. She promised herself she would only do laundry at home, that way she'd always have an excuse to come home and see Brittany every few weeks. On her first visit back home since term started for mid-term, she had text Brittany as soon as she was in Ohio to give her an arrival time, and sure enough when she pulled up outside her house, Brittany was waiting outside with flowers. She ran out of the car so fast and dived on Brittany.

"I missed you so much baby" Santana said, tears burning her eyes as she kissed Brittany desperately. Brittany was crying too.

"I missed you too. But you're here now"

Brittany took Santana's luggage in for her, as Santana greeted her parents, heading straight up to Santana's room to give them some privacy. Brittany had already spoken to them upon arrival to Santana's that morning. Santana didn't stay for long; she was itching to get upstairs to Brittany. She promised her parents that they'd catch up properly later and practically sprinted up the stairs.

When she got to her room, she slammed her door shut and dive tackled Brittany on to the bed. The kiss was hungry and desperate. She needed to touch and feel Brittany so much right now.