Chapter Three: Shades of Green

Even though Santana had broken up with Brittany, it didn't stop her missing her every day like she did when they were together. She still used every excuse she could to go back to Lima and see her, whether that be agreeing to step in and play Rizzo in the McKinley Production of Grease or returning home for Thanksgiving.

But soon, she began to realise she was only making things harder for them both. She could see the hope in Brittany's eyes every time she returned, and she knew the blonde was still hopelessly waiting for her to rekindle what they had. And it took every fibre of Santana's being, not to kiss Brittany hard and tell her she still loved her, that of course they could get back together and they could make things work. But she knew she couldn't do that.

Breaking up with Brittany was hard, the hardest thing she'd ever dealt with in her life but being in a relationship with her where she barely got to see her, kiss her and touch her. A relationship where she knew her partner was 226 miles away hurting because of her, was even harder.

So, for Christmas, she went to New York, and she imposed herself on Rachel and Kurt. Anything to get her away from Lima, because she couldn't be around Brittany right now. She spent New Year's Eve back in Louisville, at some random college party, and made it her mission to get black out drunk. That was the night she had her first post-Brittany hook up. The second girl she had ever got with in her life. Just something to try and ease the ache in her heart, that still wasn't going anywhere even though she broke up with Brittany almost three months ago now. She was just a college girl experimenting, Santana making sure she completely took the lead, and she was pretty hot. But she wasn't Brittany.

There were more college hook-ups, but that's all they were. Santana never moved on properly because she quite simply couldn't. Her heart belonged to Brittany, and she was pretty sure it always would.

So, when Tina called in early February to tell her that Brittany was dating Sam, and had been for the past couple of months, she felt like the air was being sucked right out of her. And she was in the car driving back to Lima, before she could even think of an excuse. She dialled Finn on the way there and talked him into letting her and the UofL Cheer Team perform in Glee Club. He didn't need much convincing, turns out they were having a Diva week, and he joked about Santana being the biggest diva he knew, so it fit perfectly.

Then she had to actually round up the cheer squad to see if they'd come, lucky she was still friends with them being that she'd actually dropped out of school a month ago. She hated it there, but she couldn't just go back to Lima and tell her parents, she didn't want to upset them. Especially her mom, who she knew that despite giving her the money go to New York, was delighted when she had picked college instead.

She managed to round four of them up, with some classic Santana Lopez style bribery, and soon she was back in the familiar halls of McKinley, waiting for her moment.

She pulled Elaine aside before she went in, and she begged her to pretend to be her girlfriend, bribing her with scratchers tickets and an Ani de Franco shirt. Now she was here, she felt powerless and weak. She needed a pawn in the game. She needed to make Brittany jealous.

She wanted her back, and she didn't know how they were going to make it work, but she knew anything was better than seeing Brittany in love with someone else.

And she'd always told her it was okay to move on, she wanted her to be happy, and now she was taking it all back. But there was a huge difference between saying something, and then seeing it in person. It stung and it burned, harder than anything she'd felt before. It left a bitter taste in her mouth, and she needed it to stop. She needed her sweet, sweet Brittany back.

As she heard her cue, she waltzed in the room with such confidence, offering Brittany a small wave that said surprise baby. You wouldn't think that just moments before, she was stood weak in the corridor, knees buckling and heart palpitating out of her chest. She turned the sex appeal on, and she slipped all the little things that drove Brittany crazy into the routine. Plenty of hip thrusts, gyrating and booty shaking.