19. The Monastery

AURORA HAS BEEN TIRED LATELY. She's beginning to find it weird, honestly. She's a Time Lady, she shouldn't sleep this much. But she's always, always tired. It's almost as if, when she's awake, she's still sleeping. Just aimlessly hanging around the TARDIS, droopy. She sleeps more than the Ponds.

She mentioned it to the Doctor, and he cryptically answered that, maybe, she was really asleep. Which made absolutely no sense whatsoever. Aurora just categorized it as the Doctor being the Doctor. It wouldn't be the first time he answers cryptically.

Aurora's thoughts start to slowly dissolve, the sound of the music that's played loudly in the TARDIS is slowly drowned out...

AURORA IS ASLEEP. And the Dawn is outside the Prison, on Gallifrey, in what seems to be crimson fields. The breeze is cold when it hits her wet cheeks. She's been crying. Sobbing. She's in front of a portal, built inside a door frame. The door should be leading nowhere, but she knows that it isn't the case. She knows what awaits her, outside. Another universe. A universe she cannot escape. The ultimate prison.

She's kneeling in front of the President, tears now dried, staring straight instead of bowing her head like she's instructed to do. "You're making a mistake. I just wanted to help, and if you're unable to see that, this whole universe is doomed."

He barely even looks at her, before proclaiming to the small assembly; "By the power vested in me, I hereby condemn you to exile, in another universe."

The Dawn struggles against the two guards holding her, mercilessly leading her to the portal. "You're just scared!" she cries out. "Don't let it cloud your judgment! I once believed you were better than that, please prove me right! I did it for the sake of Gallifrey," she cries out one more time.

The President's eyes fall on her, and she can see the fear she inspires him. Even in her clothes ripped and stained, even with her small frame being easily carried by the guard.

He fears her. He's properly terrified of her. "What you did was treason."

"I did it for the Time Lords!" she spits in his face. "I did more for them than you will ever do by prolonging this war any longer. What we need is peace, and what I did was kind! Just that. Just kind." The portal is getting closer now. "No one else would have done it if I hadn't." Of course, if it hadn't failed, if she hadn't been fed lies that it would work, this would hold greater meaning to the President.

The President raises a hand, and struts closer to the Dawn, to whisper something in her ear. "You're exactly like your brother." He steps away. "We can't let you stay here, you're a threat to Gallifrey." He turns to the guards. "Throw her."

"No, please!" But she is already falling.