27. The Deception

AURORA, FROM WHERE SHE'S STANDING, LOOKS AT THE DOCTOR THROUGH HER LASHES. He's standing over the console, not doing anything.

She doesn't know it, obviously, but he's thinking about her. He's thinking about how he hurt her, by being a stubborn idiot and believing for one second that she would destroy the universe. By feeling so betrayed. And for what? Because he idolized her? Because he pictured her as this perfect being, always kind, always just, and she appeared to be anything but?

Everything she has ever done was for love. She even gave him all her regenerations, and that's how he repaid her? By being so scared that she might have had a key role in Gallifrey's destruction, that he pushed her away, and lied?

And she's still here, after everything. He knows now, he's sure now, that whatever version of her it was back then, whatever she did, it was not evil. It took him a while to realize it, but he knows it now. Now that he's about to lose her. Now that he doesn't have the time to make it right.

Aurora slowly steps forward, and puts a hand on his, snapping him back into reality. "Uh, yes. The energy from the TARDIS will stabilize the Gangers for good. They're people now."

Rory taps Jimmy's shoulder, and Jimmy smiles.

"And what happens to me?" Cleaves asks, pointing to her temple. "I still have this."

"Ah!" the Doctor suddenly remembers. "That's not a problem. I have something for that. It's-it's-it's small and red and tastes like burnt onions." He snaps his fingers, trying to remember where he put it. Aurora fetches it for him and gives the small vial to him. "Ha. But it'll get rid of your blood clot."

He throws it to Cleaves, then plucks a red balloon from behind the console, smiling. Aurora's lip twitches. "Happy endings."

THEIR FIRST STOP IS AT THE BEACH, FOR ADAM'S BIRTHDAY

THEIR FIRST STOP IS AT THE BEACH, FOR ADAM'S BIRTHDAY. The Doctor gave Jimmy the red balloon to give to Adam.

Him and Aurora silently watch the family reunion from a distance. He extends his hand towards her, and she takes it between her fingers. He squeezes her palm, and looks down. She doesn't deserve this, none of what's going to happen.

 She doesn't deserve this, none of what's going to happen