I Can't Believe That Worked

Hinata woke up in her old bed. The bed she had when she was twelve. The bed she had when she was still living in the Hyuga compound.

   "I can't believe it worked." Hinata said with amazement in her voice.

The first thing she did was look on her dresser for her headband. It wasn't there, that meant she was still in the academy. The next thing she did, was look at her calendar. It was the day before they got assigned to their teams. That meant they were doing tests.

As she got ready for the day, the realization that Naruto was dead started to sink in. Knowing she would never see that Naruto again, made her heart sink.

Hinata knew she was about to cry. She could feel the tears forming in her eyes. She didn't want to start crying in the compound, but as she finished getting ready, the tears fell. She kept her head down and rushed out. She barely caught sight of Neji on her way out. At the sight of her cousin, she broke down even more. This was gonna be a lot harder than she originally thought.

———

Hinata was the second person to arrive. Sasuke was the first. That left them alone to talk about things.

   Hinata and Sasuke made eye contact. Hinata wasn't entirely sure he was from her time, so she just walked past him. Sasuke, on the other hand, noticed she had been crying, so he had figured out she was from his time.

   "Naruto did tell me to make sure you weren't too depressed. Considering you've been crying, I'd say you're depressed." Sasuke sighed.

   "I have a right to cry over my husband's death." Hinata turned around to face Sasuke.

   "You'll see him soon. Naruto is still, technically, alive." Sasuke reminded her.

   "It's not the same, and you know it. He stopped loving me. He's in love with Sakura. I have to watch him beg for a date with Sakura all over again." Hinata pointed out.

   "He's not in love with Sakura. He just has a silly crush on her. The dobe may not realize it, but he actually loves you. Even in this time period. He only chases after Sakura because she's in love with me. He wants to be better than me, so taking away one of my... fan girls *shudder* will make him believe he's better than me." Sasuke explained.

"Thank you, Sasuke." Hinata smiled.

"Can you do me a favor?" Sasuke asked.

"Sure, what do you need?" Hinata agreed.

"Can you sit next to me? I'd rather not have a... fan girl *shudder* sit next to me." Those fan girls always creeped him out. They were loud, annoying, and completely 2D. They had no personality.

   "I thought you would want to be with Sakura." Hinata teased. She knew why he didn't want to be with Sakura.

   "If she were from our time, I would, but she is not the Sakura I married. She terrifies me right now." Sasuke admitted. Hinata only laughed.

   More people started entering the room so they stopped talking. They just sat in silence, until Ino and Sakura entered.

Ino and Sakura started yelling at each other. They were arguing over who would sit next to their precious "Sasuke-kun". Well, until they realized the seat was already taken.

   They glanced at each other. This had never happened before. If all people, Hinata was the last person they expected to be sitting next to Sasuke. She had never shown the slightest hint of attraction towards Sasuke. Everyone thought she had a crush on Naruto. No one knew why she like Naruto, but they were glad to have one less girl as competition.

   The girls decided to just leave Hinata alone, for the moment anyway. They wanted to see what she was up to. They sat behind Sasuke and watched the two. They began to notice that Sasuke looked more relaxed than they've ever seen. Was it possible that Sasuke was in love with Hinata? Was it possible that Sasuke had opened up and asked Hinata to sit next to him?

   At that thought, their jaws dropped in shock. The shock then turned to jealousy. They glared at Hinata with anger in their eyes. They weren't trying to hide it either. Sasuke and Hinata were both aware of the dirty looks.

   When Sasuke was about to turn around and give them the same glare, Hinata stopped him. She place a hand on Sasuke's shoulder -which only infuriated the girl even more- and shook her head.

   "Don't. It's ok. It doesn't bother me." And it really didn't. Those glares didn't hurt her at all. Compared to the looks she got from Neji and other Hyugas for being too weak and too gentle, they were nothing. Not to mention the grief she was feeling from Naruto's death, hurt her too much to even care about the dirty looks.

   "But Naru-"

   "He told you to protect me, but if I'm not hurt by something, you don't have to protect me." Hinata whispered.

   "Ok." Sasuke agreed.

   Sasuke being told not to do something, then listening, shocked the girls. They fell out of their chair. As they were about to say something to Hinata, the doors burst open.

"Sorry I'm late class. Someone over slept." Iruka walked in the class room dragging Naruto behind him.

"I already said I'm sorry!" Naruto yelled irritated.

Iruka shoved Naruto in the seat next to Hinata. Iruka was a shipper. He especially shipped Naruto and Hinata. He thought it was odd Hinata sat next to Sasuke, but he didn't question it. He knew the girl only had eyes for Naruto. All he needed to do was make Naruto fall in love with Hinata and get over Sakura.

   "As I'm sure you all know, today is the day where you can become a genin. In order to do that you must blah blah blah."

———

   You guys already know what happens. They do tests, Naruto fails, he gets tricked, he gets a bonding moment with Iruka, he passes. It is the next day. The teams are getting announced.

   Hinata and Sasuke already knew how this went, so they didn't pay attention. Until team seven was called.

   "Uzumaki Naruto-" Hinata always pays attention when it's Naruto. "Hyuga Hinata-" it didn't really click for Hinata and Sasuke at first. They had gotten so used to Uzumaki Hinata, that Hyūga Hinata was just weird. Hinata didn't even register that her name had been called until a few moments later. When they realized it, their eyes became wide. That was different. That was extremely different. That effected so much. "Uchiha Sasuke."

———

   Different, right? I did tell you guys this was going to be different. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.