Chapter 2- The Reaping

"Welcome welcome! The time has come, to select one courageous young man and women, for the honour of representing district 11, on the 74th annual hunger games!" Said Sophie, in a weirdly exited tone, which made me somehow angry, as if this was a fun experience for the kids forced to fight on the arena, patiently awaiting death.

"But first, a film brought to you all the way from the capital!"

The same video I saw every year was played again, even thought it was my first year I would hide in the square to watch the video.

"As usual, laddies first!"She carefully picked a name from the bowl "Let me see...Rue Ramira!"

My face turned pale, and I started to feel dizzy. I looked over at mom, shouting some words, but I was to dizzy to understand, and my siblings holding on to her skirt and crying.

I slowly made my way up the stage. I could see everyone's eyes fixated on me as I climbed up the stairs leading to the small stage. 

"And now for the boys. Thresh Zasher."

I knew that name, and as soon as he came up the stage I remembered who he was. He was one of my friends from work, when I was little he was the one who taught me which berries were not safe to eat. Our moms were friends since they were little, so I grew up with Thresh as a big brother, since he was 6 years older than I was. 

"Ladies and gentleman, our tributes from district 11!"

I was hopping for someone to volunteer in my place, but the only thing that could be heard was the wind.