Chapter 45

Kaplan sat in the cool light of his brother's hospital room, hands loosely draped over the arms of his chair, his head back against one bulkhead. A few regular beeps from the machinery surrounding his brother periodically broke the quiet.

Drawing in a long breath, Kaplan tried to find a moment of peace—acceptance.

His med check had gone as expected. His psi-tech could no longer effectively stabilise his abilities.

His family's reaction had also been as anticipated. His senses still bled from it. Detaching his headset hadn't been enough. He'd had to ask everyone to leave, give him a few minutes.

But in a few months, even isolation wouldn't provide relief.

There'd be no escaping his overactive psionics. Mu had confirmed that with a bluntness typical to his-her species before calmly leaving for another appointment. The Qua-zi, even after decades of collaboration, couldn't appreciate the purpose of half truths—the preservation of hope—in human survival.

Fighting to ease the painful knot in his gut, Kaplan looked to his brother. Their mother's efforts to keep her eldest son groomed couldn't hide the degradation. Saul had been a muscular man, with a gaze and wit that could cut to the bone. Now, he was pale, thin, and covered in tubes and tech, some of it alien. If he intimidated anyone now, it was because of the warning he presented.

Kaplan closed his eyes and opened his senses to the unnatural quiet between him and his brother. The crystalline link they'd once shared had eroded, leaving a hollow awareness of life and little else.

Do I do my duty like you? Kaplan 'pathed into the stillness. Let them monitor and measure, watch as everything fails? Or do I go with your plan B? Drive high-speed surface racers, date even faster women, and hope to go out in a blaze? His chest tightened. I wish you'd chosen the latter, you stubborn son of—

He broke off, opened his eyes. Someone had come to a stop behind the ward room's door.

Atlas.

Kaplan gathered his frayed control, then 'pathed the second-gen. What is it?

Atlas entered. His eyes flicked to Saul then back to Kaplan. "Sorry to interrupt."

"I could do with a change of topic."

Atlas grunted. Sympathy flickered in his psionics, but otherwise the second-gen had himself tightly contained. Unnaturally so. "I saw your family on their way out. Your grandmother looked ready to crack a planet in half." He dropped down into a seat across from Kaplan. We have a problem.

Kaplan's attention sharpened. Atlas' use of telepathy had been very deliberate. What's happened?

Atlas glanced to the door—which he'd closed behind him. Farnquar's report's come in. He's confirmed some of the drugs detected in Cal's blood are the same as those he's been working on. Possible treatments for psi overloads. Drugs designed to suppress our abilities.

Kaplan sat forward, his skin prickling with the ramifications. We were right. Someone's sold us out.

Atlas exhaled, jaw tightening. I'm going to need a list of all the people who knew about your last mission.

You think Cal was targeted and that he wasn't the only one. Kaplan hooked his headset back on to psionically page Sun. Once she confirmed she was inbound, he looked back to Atlas. If that's the case, our traitor has access to highly restricted mission information, not just med research.

I want to be wrong, Kap. Atlas' expression turned grim. But I don't like the feel of your ship's LD pod failures. If someone wanted to limit survivors, limit your backup. If your end destination was predetermined... You and I both know desert worlds are good places to make people disappear.

Kaplan thought of Cal, how no one had missed him. Could we have overlooked other Rha Si abductions?

Atlas swiped a hand over his face and sighed heavily. I've got a team looking into that now. But given the nature of our work, the deep covers some of us have to take, it'll be months before we can account for everyone.

Kaplan sat back, shook his head. Atlas, if we're right about this, there's implications beyond the immediate problem of the Xykeree being aware of us. We're looking at a major change in behaviour and tactics—Xykeree working with allies or hired help outside their species. The ship that attacked my vessel wasn't one of theirs. And if those LD pods were sabotaged, it happened while the ship was docked for maintenance. Most likely on this base.

Atlas glanced to the door again then leaned forward. I told you we almost lost our larder survivor a few hours ago. Turns out the restoration chamber the poor bastard was in malfunctioned. A software glitch that affected both the unit's oxygen supply and its medical alarms. That's a damn unlucky combo. Or a convenient one. I've assigned my tech goddess to look into it and watch over the guy. If anyone can sweet talk med-tech machine code, it's Temple.

You think our traitor's still on board, trying to tie off loose ends. Kaplan pushed to his feet as Sun entered. He telepathically updated her then mentally linked her into his conversation with Atlas. Is Koel still with Natano and Channing?

Sun's mouth tightened. No. When your grandmother hauled me in for the family conference, she had the aberrant escorted to the brig, and Natano got called in for a priority med check. I didn't mention it at the time because... She straightened tautly. That was an oversight. I should have.

Kaplan curled his hands into fists, but it was dread, not anger that cut through him. He strode for the door. Assist Temple, he ordered Sun. Find out who had access to that restoration chamber and hunt them down.

Will do. Reid, I'm sorry—

A burst of anxiety cut off Sun's apology. Then pounding, thrash-rock audio sensory signals. Stepping out into the corridor, Kaplan found Channing hurrying toward him with wild eyes and a death grip on her data pad.

"Senuri, I—" She jerked to a stop as she spotted Atlas and Sun behind him. Fear and embarrassment washed through her psionics before she steeled herself. "Senuri, I—I'm looking for Ms Koel."

"What's wrong?" Kaplan curbed the urge to telepathically grab an explanation. Channing wouldn't forgive the intrusion, not so soon after Zio Tarak's actions.

"Didn't Jinx talk to you?" Channing clutched her data pad tighter. The device was feeding her nerves as much as the Rha Si in the ward. "She said she was going to talk to you."

"About wha—?" Kaplan broke off as a clear thought made it through the doctor's panic and attempts to mask what was on her mind. His head filled with a roar of noise. He was vaguely aware of Atlas and Sun cursing as they caught the same intel. "The Xykeree inserted a dosing implant into Jinx while she was on the Bullhead?"

Channing stiffened, unease and resentment flaring, but she nodded jerkily. "It—it's nonstandard, Senuri. It has a foreign neurotech component I—I'm having trouble analysing. But I identified the drugs it was delivering. They're the same as some of those found in Senuri Callan Tarak's blood, but at lower concentrations."

"Psi suppressants." Atlas stepped forward. "What would the intended effect be in an unaltered human?"

Channing flinched back a step, before catching herself. "The—the agents depress activity in the brain regions involved with psionic communication. I—I can only postulate, but in a non-psi, I'd have to say the goal would have been to—"

"They prevented her being read." Atlas swung to Kaplan. "Probably messed with the stimulatory drugs Admiral Tarak forced on her. Kap, is your girl even aberrant?"

Kaplan felt like he'd been sucker punched. He hurriedly regrouped. Atlas, if the Xykeree silenced her, there was something to hide.

Atlas' expression hardened. And we have someone on board tying up loose ends.