Chapter 21 Spell Training?

"Which way was it to the inn? Oh, wait I have that magic map," as I was reaching for it I noticed the crowd had thinned out a lot. Like there was no one here kind of a lot, which put me on edge because I'm in the shopping district.

I looked around hoping to find someone, but even the shops were empty, they didn't even bother to lock any doors. I finished looking through a clothing store and stepped back outside only to find the town was gone and was instead greeted by giant stone walls on either side of me, stretching forward as far as I could see.

I heard shuffling behind me so I chanted [PLASMA CANNON], I only wanted to hurt whoever it was, not kill them so I made the beam's diameter about twice the size of a quarter. But no one was there instead there was another wall where the shop was, which my spell did not damage.

"That's it," I decided to fly up and over the walls, but as soon as I made it to the top I was met by a cloaked person standing on the wall and a sword through my heart. they held me in the air using the sword and as I blacked out I could hear voices, "we needed him alive, you idiot," said a masculine voice, "he's immortal remember, he won't stay dead, we learned that from mister mind control's experiment," said a feminine voice, "oh. Right, well let's go then" said the man.

They didn't say anymore before I had passed out.

When I finally opened my eyes it wasn't the real world I saw but the endless white void again, although this time the 'floor,' for lack of a better term, was pitch black. "That's strange, you shouldn't have been able to call on my memories yet, it's too soon for us to meet formally, but we seem to be in a bit of trouble so I'll gift you some of our knowledge."

The voice sounded masculine but not by much, and when I tried to pinpoint the origin I realized I wasn't hearing someone else talk, I was talking, though not with my voice or of my own volition.

Realizing I was confused and panicking the voice asked me to look down, and what I saw was. . . . me, our feet touching as if one was standing on the other, as if I was walking on a mirror.

The next time I heard the voice it did not come from me, it came from my reflection and he said, "do not worry, this knowledge does not come with a price, it is as much yours as it is mine, take it and protect yourself from this new foe."

When he finished his speech he bent over and reached his hand out as my body was forced to do the same as our hands met at the barrier between us like our feet, we closed our eyes and after a second I felt a tingling sensation go through my arm and up my neck.

And suddenly I knew.

I knew what made me immortal, an impossibly strong connection between my soul and my body kept my soul from leaving this plane and entering the afterlife, therefore it is slowly drawn back into the corpse restoring it and bringing it back to life.

Although if I believed I was dead and the object of my demise was still embedded in me my soul would not attempt to rejoin my body.

But with what I now know I can force my spirit to stay in my body even after death allowing me to control it while my soul heals the body, although stranger than how my reflection knew this was that it felt I as though had remembered this rather than learned it.

Pushing the feeling aside for now I opened my eyes to see the black floor, along with the reflection, was gone. Knowing time was of the essence I decided not to think too hard about it for the moment and put my knowledge to practice. Focusing, willing my soul to return to my physical form, and knowing I wasn't dead just separated, I awoke.

I was in what, at first glance looked like a tent, but from the wooden floor and the sound of horses from outside I gathered I was in some kind of carriage the two hooded hoodlums were in the. . . . driver's seat I guess? no, I need to stop wondering what that's called and just get out of here, quietly.

The horses were very loud which worked in my favor, the sword in my chest causing immense pain was not helping, though I lacked the time to pull it out so I had to just bear with it for the time being, I struggled to my feet keeping grunts of pain to myself.

Immortality is great and all but I can still feel the pain that would be causing my death.

Gently I hopped out the back of the carriage using my wings to lighten my landing, luckily the perpetrators didn't seem to have noticed I was gone as the carriage just kept on moving.

With a quick look around I saw an adequately dense forest to my right that I decided to take shelter in while I rested, fatigue was another thing immortality did not fix.

Wandering fairly deep into the forest, far enough that I couldn't see the road that the wagon had been traveling on, I leaned against a tree, and with one quick motion and groans of pain I could no longer hold in, I yanked the sword out of my chest letting it fall to the ground with a weighty thud.

I dropped to my and sat against the tree, taking breaths hoping it ease the pain while the wound healed, making sure not to drift while could still be hunted but I needed to rest for a while to regain my strength before trying to make my way back to the city.

Sorry for the HUGE delay on the chapter I had this one on the back burner for a long time for reasons, one of which was I had no idea where I wanted to go with this story. I had been making this just for the fun of it, see how far I could get ya know? but seeing how much you guys liked it I wanted to give some real effort into this, so I took some time to really think it through and I wish I could promise there won't be a delay like this again but I can't, I know now where I want to go but I haven't quite figured out how I want to get there, so I hope to not make you wait so long again and thank you for sticking with me.

See ya next time!