Chapter Twenty Two

Again, sitting through Mrs. Moorer’s class was agony.  I couldn’t get out of there fast enough.  That said, I was glad that she didn’t seem too bothered by what happened the last time I was here—especially since, she had been right about Tristan.  Still, she didn’t meet my eyes when I entered the classroom or when she called the roll.   The small, still functional part of my brain that wasn’t totally consumed with wanting to leave wondered if she hadn’t ever stopped believing that Tristan had been a vampire.  Even if the council had ruled it to be impossible.

Finally, it was time to go, and I ran non-stop to the student lot where Taylor’s Jeep was parked.  She wasn’t there when I arrived, but a quick scan of the campus revealed that she was nearby, walking and talking with Chris on the paved walkway leading away from the gym. 

I pretended not to see the quick little hug they gave one another before Taylor unlocked the Jeep.  She kept looking over at me to see if I would say anything, but I kept quiet.  At least until she pulled out of the school. 

“So, Chris is nice.” I said.

She glanced at me, trying her best to keep a straight face.  “Yeah.”

“Do you like him?”

“Of course.  He’s a good friend.” She nodded to emphasize the point.

“I don’t usually hug my friends.”

Ana…we’re just friends.  It’s not like we’ve kissed or anything.  Not like you and Darren.”

I’m sure she thought that that would throw me—or at least change the subject.  But I was committed to hearing what I wanted to hear.  Feeling what I’d felt with Tristan made me want everyone to have that same experience. 

“You mean you haven’t kissed yet,” I corrected. 

She giggled.  But soon I hope.”

“I knew it!”

She burst into laughter.  “But we’re kinda different, you know.”

“How so?”

I half expected her to say that she wasn’t a witch.  “Well, I’m white.  That’s kind of a big deal back home.  What do you think?”

“I think that if you like someone, then you should give it a chance.  I mean, it’s the 21st century.”

She didn’t say anything, but I could tell that she took comfort in those words.

It was hard to ignore the knot in my stomach as we approached the clinic.  Taylor’s budding romance had kept me distracted for a time, but now the moment was here.  What would I say to her?  Would she be angry to be here?  She tried so desperately to keep me away from Brighton.  Would she want to leave?  The questions raced around my head, and when we stopped, my hands were shaking.

“Are you alright?” Taylor asked. 

“Oh yeah,” I said, stuffing my hands into my pockets.  “I’m fine.”

Taylor asked if she could meet my mother, and I told her that I would have to see how she was doing.  To my surprise, I found her and Dr. Roberts both sitting in the waiting room.  I rushed over and wrapped my arms around her. Tears followed, as I thought about how close I’d come to losing her. 

“I am so glad you’re alright!” I said, releasing her finally.  My mother still looked pale, much lighter than her normal complexion.  She also had large rings beneath her eyes, but considering how far she’d come, I couldn’t have wished for anything more.

“I hear I have you to thank for that,” my mother replied in a hoarse voice. 

I glanced up at Dr. Roberts and he nodded.  So she did know what I’d done.

“Who’s your friend,” he asked quickly.  Now he was asking me a question with his eyes. 

“Oh, this is my best friend, Taylor.  She’s from New Brighton,” I said, hoping he understood my meaning—Taylor wasn’t a witch.  From the change in his demeanor, I could see that he had.  He leaned down and whispered in my mother‘s ear.  She nodded that she understood too.  Taylor, on the other hand, now looked uncomfortable.  She told us that it was nice to meet everyone and then quickly left.  I started to go after her, but just then, my mother said something to me that took hold of my entire attention.   “Ana, we have a lot to talk about.”

“Yeah, we do.”

Turns out, I couldn’t have asked for a better visit.  She told me that she knew about my being a conjurer and that it was the reason she’d taken me from Brighton.  I told her how we had discovered it when I brought her back to health and that only three other people knew about it.  Three people I trusted—even if London was a bit unpredictable at times.  She still had some concerns but didn’t hound me.  Next, we found ourselves talking about my future.  I told her that I wanted to stay here in Brighton, and a long silence followed, but in the end, she didn’t fight me on that either.  She said that if I wanted to stay, then she would too.  That’s when I told her about her birthday party. 

That got a negative reaction.  She was mortified.  Then she did something that surprised me.  She cried.  It was out of nowhere and the first time I had ever seen her cry my whole life.  And that’s when it happened.  She apologized.  That was a first, too.  She told me that she never meant to ruin my childhood with drills and secrets, and that she had really only meant to protect me.  Then it was my turn to share with her what I’d learned. I told her that I understood.  Not only that, but I was glad she’d done what she did.  That I wouldn’t have done it any differently.  She broke down after that.

I held her in my arms and through her tears she managed a “thank you” that felt magical, transformative.  Our relationship was instantly different.  Man, I loved this woman.

It was nightfall before I left.  Dr. Roberts wanted to keep my mother one more night before releasing her into my grandmother’s custody.  I had planned on staying too, but she quickly reminded me that I had school in the morning.  I laughed at that.  She was definitely still my mother.  My grandmother, Duncan, and Helena had come by that afternoon with balloons and hugs.  Duncan still looked at me with that same ferocity when he arrived, but after spending some time reminiscing with my grandmother about when my mother was a child, his mood became light, and he was laughing constantly.  I had almost forgotten that he was her guardian once upon a time.

At my mother’s request, my grandmother decided she would stay the night.  She wanted to talk and my grandmother accepted her offer.  That meant Duncan was the one to take me home.

Not a minute into the ride did he address the elephant in room.  “I know what you did.”

I was quiet.  “I kinda figured you did,” I said finally.

“I also know that it means that you’re not truly a witch,” he followed.

“I’m not?”

“Witches draw their power from nature, you do not.”

I wasn’t sure what to say.  “Where do I draw it from?” I asked in a small voice.

“Evil.  You are an abomination.”

Coming from the kind man who had rescued me in the woods, those words burned liked acid.  I couldn’t even speak after that.

He continued. “Because of the affection I have for your mother, I will not destroy you.  But be warned, if you are ever to act on the evil inside you, I will not hesitate to end your life.”

He didn’t say another word after that. 

Trembling in my seat, neither did I.