Chapter Twenty Five

School went by in a blur.  Taylor apologized at least three times in each of the classes we had together.  Darren still offered to give me a ride to school, but Carlos no longer smiled at me. Guess that’s what I get for hurting his best friend. Sigh. Chris had apparently made his move last night and now he and Taylor were downright insufferable at lunch.  She was now just “Tay,” while his nicknames ranged anywhere from “dumplin’” to “Christaboo.”  Insufferable.  London was a no show.

All that remained was the pep rally, which took place during Mrs. Moorer’s class, last period.  Taylor and I sat together.  At least, for a little while.  Heathwood had a tradition of allowing the girlfriends to stand with their boyfriends after they were introduced.  Taylor was all giggles and grins when they called “Christopher Dent, number eighty four, wide receiver.”  They saved Darren for last, and he walked out to thunderous cheers.  Only, he had to stand by himself, much to the shock of everyone present.  It was as though the entire gym turned to me all at once, their expressions ranging from confusion to contempt.  My heart was already taking a beating but when my eyes met Darren’s at the center of the gym, it became too much. I had to get out of there.

Taylor came after me, catching me out in the hallway.  “What’s wrong?  Did you guys break up?”

“God, Taylor!  We were never going out!  Why doesn’t anybody understand that?”

She was silent after that.  I kept walking and she followed.

“I’m sorry,” I said finally.  “Things have just been kinda weird for me lately.  Can you take me home?  Please?”

Taylor glanced back at the gym. I knew that she wasn’t ready to leave school yet, but she said “yes” anyway.

It was a quiet ride until we entered Old Brighton.  Taylor gawked at the estates, saying things like “Whoa!” or asking, “Is all of that just one house?” I remembered feeling that same awe on my first ride into Old Brighton, but I was far too depressed to share in the moment with her.

Her eyes got really big when she saw the wall of hedges blocking off the view of my family’s estate.  We had barely turned onto the winding driveway when a man I recognized stopped us.

He came around to the driver’s side window and knocked.  Taylor shot me an anxious glance and I shrugged in response.  She rolled down the window.

He ducked so that his face was visible in the window space.  “State your business.”

“I…I’m dropping off my friend.”

He ducked lower until he could see me sulking in the passenger seat.  “Oh, hello there!  Remember me?  From South Carolina?”

“Yeah.”

My short reply seemed to knock him back into business mode.  “If you’ll do a three point turn and head on back, we can send a car up to take her the rest of the way.”

I saw the same hurt from yesterday show up on her face and that drew out my anger.  “What’s going on?  We’ve never had guards stalking the driveway before.  We’re going through.”

“I’m afraid that’s not going to happen.”

“I order you to let us through.  This is my home.”

“Ma’am, I apologize, but I have strict orders not to let anyone not invited to the party through to the house.”

“Wha—“

“Ana, it’s okay,” Taylor interrupted.  “Really.  It’s not your fault.  I have to get back to put in my vote for Editor anyway.”

“Are—are you sure?  Because this is ridiculous.”