Starting Fresh?

Hermione Granger walked into the great hall, on the morning of September the 2nd. She couldn't recall the last time she'd had a bad night's sleep at Hogwarts. Hogwarts, the place where she felt more at home than anywhere else in the world.

This year was going to be a very different from her previous years at Hogwarts. There was no Harry and Ron. She had felt sad when they said they had been accepted to be Aurours, but Hermione knew that the one things that would make her more let down than anything was not completing her education.

She sat down at the Gryffindor table, and looked around. Everyone looked so, different, older. Neville Longbottom sat down beside her.

"Hullo Hermione" Neville said, smiling crookedly at her. "You got your timetable yet? McGonagall's handing them out right now!"

Hermione glanced over at the Slytherin table, where she saw the new head mistress handing out time-tables. Hermione's eyes scanned the Slytherin table, looking to see who had decided not to come back, she saw Blaise Zabini, talking to a sixth year girl she couldn't remember the name of, and a couple of other faces she knew from potions until her eyes met... Malfoy's. Draco Malfoy's. He stared right back at her, and he smiled. He smiled at her, Hermione Granger. Not a mocking smile, a nice, genuine smile.

Draco was then tapped on the shoulder, and handed two timetables from Professor McGonagall. She seemed to talk longer to Draco than anyone else. McGonagall then pointed over to Hermione herself. Hermione was confused. Draco then got up from the Slytherin table and walked over to the door, not breaking eye contact with her once. He reached the door and motioned for her to come outside.

Hermione excused herself from the table, and went out to meet Malfoy.

He was sitting on the stairs. Hermione went and sat beside him, still keeping her distance. She didn't know why she felt so... Reluctant. It was that smile. She didn't know what had happened.

She turned and looked Malfoy right in the eyes.

"Hermione..." Malfoy began, sounding odd. Hermione was slightly taken aback. He had called her, Hermione. "I want to start a fresh. Please. I know, I'm the worst in the world, and honestly I'm sure you'd rather fight 400 death eaters at once to ever consider yourself friends with me but it's just you're head girl and I'm head boy, we are going to share our own common room and I'd much rather it wasn't in icy silence for a year!" Everything came out of Draco's mouth so fast, and he sounded so nervous.

It took Hermione a couple of seconds to process what Malfoy had just said. She was.. Head Girl. She lifted her chin up a little higher, and straightened her back. Not bad. "We share a common room? Oh my, this will be different. Malfoy, I'd love to start a fresh. You seem so different already, keep it up and we could become good friends" Hermione said to Malfoy. Malfoy then stood up abruptly, and dusted himself down. He reached out a hand to Hermione, offering her a hand up. She smiled, and took his hand. Draco then delved into his pocket and brought our Hermione's timetable. Hermione thanked him, and bid him farewell, until this evening, where they would be introduced to their new common room. Hermione smiled. Maybe this year would be different... Good different.