31: enlightment

After the death of Chet Hunter, the days flew by and his funeral had already past. Jack kept himself composed the whole mourning process, he never shed a tear, and always stepped up when it came to the responsibilities of planning a funeral. Meanwhile Shawn secluded himself from the rest of the world, and pushed nearly everyone away.

  Cory and Topanga knew Shawn well enough, to give him his own space. So that he could deal with his feelings, and process his emotions, the way he knew how, alone.

However, Heather never stopped being by Shawn's side. She wasn't overbearing, overwhelming, nor breaking any boundaries. Heather would sometime just sit in Shawn's dorm, and read a book to herself, while he laid alone in his bed facing the wall.

She would do his laundry, make his bed, and cook some food. Cooking, as in taking store bought food out of the container, and into a tupperware.

  As Heather was on her way to Shawn's dorm, she passed by Cory and Topanga.

  "Oooh, the fiancée game," Heather commented. She took note of the board game that were in the couple's possession.

  "All Cory and I need is another couple," Topanga said sadly.

  "Well, I would love to play with you guys, but you know, I'm not a fiancé," Heather answered with a chuckle. "Besides, I'm on my way to see Shawn."

  "How do you get him to talk? I tried, but he shuts me out," Cory asked genuinely.

  "We don't even talk. I just don't want him to be alone," Heather replied.

  She waved goodbye, and headed towards Shawn's dorm. She softly knocked on his door before entering, and saw Shawn stacking a pyramid of empty Coco Cola cans. A small task that Shawn had been doing, and although it bugs the neat freak in Heather, she was happy there was something stimulating Shawn's mind.

   Heather smiled at Shawn, and took out her assignments from class, and begun taking notes.

  "So, where did you come from," Shawn asked, before he cleared his throat.

This was probably the first time he instigated a conversation. A normal conversation that he probably been wanting to have with another person.

  "The studio, that's where I left my school work," Heather replied casually. "You should come and visit, it would be a nice change of scenery," Heather suggested, knowing it would be great for Shawn to get out of his dorm, and obtain some vitamin D.

Heather waited for Shawn's answer, yet Jack's sudden appearance stumped Shawn. A person he had been avoiding since the funeral.

"Dude, you've been ignoring my calls. Listen, we need to go down to Chet's trailer, and handle his stuff," Jack ordered Shawn.

Heather felt the tension in the room, and decided to was best to leave Jack and Shawn alone. Especially since they haven't spoken to each other since the funeral.

"Hey Jack, I'll uh, let you guys talk," Heather suggested, and got up from stood up.

"No, you don't have to do that because I'm not going down there," Shawn stopped Heather.