|01| The Letter

Golden Trio Era

It was a normal day of the summer holidays when the letter came

It was a normal day of the summer holidays when the letter came. We were both sitting on the window seat of the cottage drinks in hand staring out at the rising sun. My back was pressed against Remus's freshly scared chest from the full moon a few nights ago. One of his hands was resting on my shoulder holding his favourite earl grey tea and the other slowly running through my hair causing a pleasant sensation to constantly run down my spine.

It was one of those moments that we both longed for. When the rest of the world, all the discrimination, all the pressure to fit in especially from my family. When it was just us and the sunrise. When we could finally be together, no time limit and no jobs getting in the way. I was the muggle studies professor at Hogwarts so we didn't get to spend a lot of time together in the middle of the year during school times.

We stared out over the hills surrounding our little cottage out in the middle of nowhere. In a desperate attempt to escape from the hate and judgement of the wizarding world, two years ago we bought a little house just outside of London. It was surrounded by hills and covered in flowers in the spring. In the winter the hills are covered in snow. And when the sun is at just the right position in the sky makes the snow shine and it looks, well for lack of a better word, 𝑚𝑎𝑔𝑖𝑐𝑎𝑙.

I was almost falling asleep to the gentle sensation of Remus running his hand through my hair and his humming under his breath when I heard a quiet,

"Olive. There's an owl coming."

My eyes flickered open immediately, latching on to the faint shadow on the horizon getting closer and closer.

I let out a faint groan and collapsed my head back just under Remus's chin. He let out a low chuckle and pressed a kiss to my forehead before pushing himself up and opening the door just in time for the owl to fly through.

Remus stood by the door eyeing the owl as it flew around the kitchen and the lounge room as I sluggishly made my way through the lounge to behind the kitchen counter and poured myself another cup of coffee.

The owl did one more lap around the room before dropping onto Remus's shoulder. He untied the letter from his leg, and hissed as the animal dug their claws into his shoulder as they took flight again.

He shut the door before leaning on the counter in front of me to open the letter. I refilled my "werewolf rights" mug before downing it again in an attempt to wake myself up. I refilled the mug again just as Remus opened the letter.

I rose the mug to my mouth and slowly sipped the coffee as I watched Remus open and read the letter.

It was a professional looking envelope compared to the ones we usually get to the house from my siblings and the Daily Prophet. It had a dark red seal which looked strangely familiar as Remus's eyes flicked over the page.

I turned back around and placed my cup in the sink before turning the water on to rinse it. As a muggle born and a half blood, we have a unique house with both magical and muggle aspects. We have a fridge and electricity, but we also have a magical clock that says where we both are. I turned the tap off just as I heard a faint and croaky,

"Olive?" Come out of Remus's mouth. I turned around opening my mouth to say a snarky remark about how he's losing his voice and saw that he had turned deathly pale and he had a hand clamped over his mouth in shock.

Immidently the comment died on my tongue as I grew worried. The last time he had this kind of reaction to a letter it said that his mother had died in her sleep.

"Re? Remus? What's wrong. Is it your father?"

Remus took in a deep shuddering breath before stuttering out,

"I- I don't- Here."

He held out the letter to me, clearly in so much shock that he could not put it into words. I took the parchment, shooting a worried glance at him before opening it up and reading the letter.

𝐷𝑒𝑎𝑟 𝑅𝑒𝑚𝑢𝑠 𝐿𝑢𝑝𝑖𝑛,
    𝑊𝑒 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑝𝑙𝑒𝑎𝑠𝑒𝑑 𝑡𝑜 𝑖𝑛𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑚 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑦𝑜𝑢 ℎ𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑜𝑝𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑡𝑢𝑛𝑖𝑡𝑦 𝑡𝑜 𝑎𝑐𝑡 𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑡𝑖𝑡𝑙𝑒 𝐷𝑒𝑓𝑒𝑛𝑐𝑒 𝐴𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑡 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐷𝑎𝑟𝑘 𝐴𝑟𝑡𝑠 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑓𝑒𝑠𝑠𝑒𝑟. 𝑌𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑐𝑢𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑛𝑡 𝑖𝑛𝑐𝑙𝑜𝑠𝑒𝑑 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑡𝑎𝑐𝑡 𝑖𝑠 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑎 𝑦𝑒𝑎𝑟 ℎ𝑜𝑤𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑚𝑎𝑦 𝑏𝑒 𝑙𝑒𝑛𝑔𝑡ℎ𝑛𝑒𝑑. 𝐼 𝑑𝑜 ℎ𝑜𝑝𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑒𝑥𝑒𝑐𝑝𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑝𝑜𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛.
           𝐴𝑏𝑙𝑢𝑠 𝐵𝑟𝑎𝑖𝑛 𝑊𝑢𝑙𝑓𝑟𝑖𝑐 𝑃𝑒𝑟𝑐𝑖𝑣𝑎𝑙 𝐷𝑢𝑚𝑏𝑙𝑑𝑜𝑟𝑒

I reached my hand into the envelope and pulled out the contract. It was exactly as Dumbldore had written. It was the exact same as my original contract.

"Holy crap."

A huge grin started to develop on my face as soon as the words from both pecies of parchment started to settle in. I let out sudden and short laugh before looking over and Remus. He had on hand still over his mouth and the other going through his hair.

I placed the papers down on the counter before walking up behind him. I gently reached out and removed his hand from his hair, before wrapping my arms around his middle. I saw him remove his hand from his face and he took a deep shuddering breath inwards as he wrapped his arms around mine as I lent my chin on his shoulder.

"Remus." I whispered in his ear. "You know this is a good thing right? You have always wanted to teach and now you have the chance! And don't give me the werewolf rubbish you went to school there and almost no one figured it out."

"But- but what if I hurt someone? That's a risk that I just can't take I mean-"

"Remus. Enough. You're not going to hurt anyone. And before you ask how I know that I'll be there to remember? I will make sure you don't hurt anyone."

Remus suddenly stood and started pacing around the room muttering.

"But even if you are there then I might hurt you I might-"

I jumped up crossed the room towards him in two short strides, grabbed the sides of his face and pressed my lips to his.

Remus immediately melted into my touch and rested his hand on my cheek as he kissed me back.

I drew away from the kiss wrapping my arms around his neck and bringing him in for a hug.

"Remus this is literally your dream job. If you do not take it, you will definitely regret it." I said as his hands wrapped around my waist to hug me back.

"Besides." I said as I pulled away and walked back to the kitchen. "I'll be there. It'll be fun!"

I poured myself another cup of coffee and smiled as Remus grabbed a quill and signed his signature on the contract. He attached it to the owl that was surprisingly waiting outside, and it flew away.

"I really hope I didn't just make a big mistake."

Hiiii so new story! Clearly. If you haven't read my others please go check them out! And let me know what you think of this one!
1236 words