Chapter 2: Can you come to my parent meeting?

"what?" The man's low voice brought her back out of her stance.

"When are you coming back?" Olivia asked carefully. 

"What's the matter?" The man asked with concern in his voice.

"Well, I ran into a tiny problem," Olivia said embarrassed.

 "I'll have a parent-teacher meeting tomorrow."

"Hmm?" The man said with a smile in his voice. 

Olivia started to get frustrated, didn't he understand what she said?

"Can you come to my parent-teacher meeting!" She said while forcing every single word clearly. 

His newly married wife was asking him to attend a parent-teacher meeting. The man on the other end of the phone was silent for a long time, which seemed to be unexpected.
It was not weird for him to hold a parent-teacher meeting. What was strange was that his first parent-teacher meeting was held for his wife and not for his child. 

After a while, he replied, "Yes."

"I can believ. Wait for what? So you are going?" Olivia said surprised.

"What time is it?" He asked.

"huh?"

"What time is the meeting?"

"Oh, two o'clock tomorrow afternoon."

"I see." He said with a long pause.

Then she heard on the other end of the phone someone telling him that his flight was booked. 

"..."

"Is there anything else you need?"

"Nothing else."

"See you at school tomorrow."

"mm-hmm."Olivia hung up the phone and stared blankly at the wall, feeling more or less grateful. 

Not only did he agreed, but also didn't ask her why she didn't ask her own parents to go to the parent-teacher meeting. In fact, he didn't ask any questions. She liked that. 

Suddenly she felt a little nervous, she had not told him that it was not only a parent-teacher meeting but also a meeting about her actions at school. 

Olivia couldn't sleep this night. She just tossed and turned into her bed. 

At 2 pm the next day, Olivia arrived at her school and waited by the gate. The main purpose of today's parent-teacher meeting is to notify her parents about her actions are school. If she hadn't hit someone, she wouldn't have needed to invite her parents at all. As others started arriving, they frowned with disgust when they saw how she dressed 

"How can Lakeside have such a student?"

"Maybe she is waiting for her friend? She might go to the public school nearby."

"Maybe."

"Who said that, she is a Lakeside student, she is the 20-year-old senior. She is a well known problematic student. She kicked my son the other year. However, we couldn't do anything about it because her father did something." 

"Really? How did they even accept her? This is such a prestigious high school!"

Olivia leaned askew against the gate with a cigarette in her mouth as she listened to the parents talk about her. Fewer and fewer parents gathered at the door until the parent-teacher meeting began, and occasionally one or two parents came in a hurry. Time went by slowly, and an hour had passed in a blink. Olivia was going to call, however, she put her hand down. 

He was probably still on the plane.

Two hours, three hours...

In the end, he didn't come until the parents' meeting was over.
Her anticipation was like the cigarette butt in the hand it was disintegrating little by little till she felt emotionless again. 

She felt stupid for believing the words of a stranger.

 "I finally found you, come with me to the Principal's office." Mrs. Steam said out of breathing while leading Olivia in.