blind date -------->chp17

"I did not expect her to flake out like that."

Adrien sighed, rubbing his eyes tiredly. He'd been sitting at the agreed-upon restaurant for the past twenty minutes waiting for his blind date to show up, only to get a phone call from Alya telling him the whole night was a bust.

This was exactly why he was so reluctant to date again.

"I hope that she really did mean something important came up," Alya continued. "Otherwise, I'm wringing her neck for pulling this stunt. How dare she stand you up! Especially with your dad being so nice as to take Emma for the evening."

"I guess the bright side is Emma getting the opportunity to spend the night with her grandfather," Adrien said, his voice clearly conveying his resignation.

"If you want to look at it that way," Alya grumbled. "But you were supposed to be spending the night with someone, too. It was hard enough to find someone I deemed worthy. Now my only decent candidate has flown out the window."

"You can't be perfect all the time, Alya," Adrien teased. "One of these days, it was bound to catch up with you."

Alya scoffed. "One mark to mar my perfect record. Shame."

"Well, I guess I'll just have to relieve my father for the night."

"Are you sure you don't want to stay and get something there?" Alya asked. "You don't really get enough alone time these days, and I've heard their ravioli is to die for."

"I've eaten alone enough in my life," Adrien said, eying the host stand with the intent of flagging the hostess down and apologizing for the trouble. "I'd much rather eat at home even if Emma is finished. No use in staying for a date that isn't going to... show..."

He had to pause, oblivious to what Alya was saying over the phone as he watched a lovely woman in a red cocktail dress approach the host stand.

"Hey, I'll call you back later, k?"

"What is it?" Alya asked, but Adrien barely heard as he hung up. By now, the hostess was walking the stunning young woman towards one of the tables nearby.

"Marinette," he called out.

Both women turned toward him in surprise. "Adrien," she said, giving a smile in greeting.

"Are you alone tonight?" He asked, noticing the single menu in the hostess' hand.

She nodded. "I am."

He motioned towards the other side of the table. "Would you do me the honor of spending dinner with me?"

She hesitated. He could have seen it coming. While it had been three weeks since that awkward Saturday night, she was still a bit shy around him.

However, tonight she surprised him once again with a nod and an, "I'd love the company."

A large smile spread across his face as the hostess sat Marinette across from Adrien before returning to her station.

"Fancy seeing you here," Adrien remarked.

"Yeah," Marinette replied, setting her purse down on the seat next to her. "What brings you out tonight?"