Valentine's day -------->chp37

Marinette found herself looking at Adrien more and more often. Her mind was constantly drifting to a fantasy where she wasn’t just playing house, but actually living it. How would things change? Would things change at all? Or would their interactions stay the same? Would they last?

And was this okay?

That was the big question. Yes, she’d had a year to mourn. She was beginning to let go. She had accepted the fact that Nathaniel was gone and she was left a widow. But… was she really ready to try a new relationship? Or were lines she shouldn’t cross being blurred with a fantasy? It was hard to forget the way Adrien looked over at her when she put on the ladybug necklace. It was impossible to forget the feeling of pride when Emma called her mom.

But was it all in her head?

So many questions. So much to consider. So much on the line.

“Marinette, look!”

Marinette grinned down at the drawing Emma was holding up at her, one covered in red, pink, and purple hearts in honor of Valentine’s day. “Very nice, Emma.”

“It’s for daddy, but don’t tell him.”

“I promise,” Marinette said, crossing her heart. “Do you want to write ‘To Daddy’ on it?”

Emma shoved the paper over to Marinette. “Yeah.”

With a pencil, Marinette lightly wrote the words on the paper so Emma could trace it in crayon. It had become something they did together, with Marinette writing things out for Emma to trace. Usually, it was in the form of labeling things, like ‘cat’ or ‘dog’, but as far as Marinette and Adrien were concerned, it didn’t matter. It was a start, and Emma was soaking it up like a sponge.

Emma’s face scrunched in concentration as she traced the lettering in red crayon. She took everything she made for her dad very seriously. It was tremendously sweet.

After this was done, they were going to go bake cookies to decorate. At Marinette’s house, of course, because Emma said that they couldn’t risk Daddy walking in on them. It had nothing to do with the fact Emma really wanted to see Mrs. Cheng and Mr. Dupain again.

“Done!”

“Very nice,” Marinette said. “Now, are you ready to go make cookies?”

Emma was up and scampering to the door like a shot.

Marinette chuckled before following after her. She popped her head into Adrien’s office to let him know where they were going, which he acknowledged with a wave and a ‘have a good time.’ Then, Marinette grabbed Emma’s car seat before heading out to the car.

Emma bounced excitedly the whole way there, then followed Marinette up the stairs to the apartment.

“Hello,” Marinette called. “We’re here.”

“In the kitchen,” her maman called back.

Emma scampered into the kitchen. “Mrs. Cheng!” she cried.

“It’s so nice seeing you, Emma,” Maman returned.

After hugs were exchanged, Emma bounded back to Marinette. “The card.”