Chapter 22

Steph: I want to support the Spares in the finals.

Steph: Who's coming with me?

Disappointment rushes through me. We were so close to winning. The hole in my Sunday nights is apparent. My activities are reduced to ignoring the message on my Kegel app reminding me that I'm only at 5% of my daily goal. I sigh and check to see if Daphne's free to talk, but she's busy.

Even though I don't want to go to the finals, I don't want Steph to go alone. Me: I'll go with you. We can drink wine again so that's a plus. 

My attention turns to the HOA community page. The happenings of this neighborhood is a good distraction. A distraction is what I need as a hotbed of controversy is unfolding regarding Halloween this coming weekend. A debate about the trick-or-treating time is at the heart of the issue.

KMetzler: My job requires that I go to bed early. We will be trick-or-treating at 3:30.

Yolanda92: Are you crazy? No one's home.

KMetzler: My toddler must be in bed by 7:00.

JParkus: I agree. Neighbors should accommodate those of us with young children.

Yolanda92: At 3:30? Most of us have these things called jobs. How would you know if someone's light is on?

KMetzler: Homeowners could put out 'We're home signs.'

BestDad44: We need everyone to make a sign that kids should only take ONE candy.

Yolanda92: Signs don't work. Half the kids can't read.

KMetzler: They're toddlers, Yolanda. You expect them to read?

JParkus: My toddler can read in two languages.

KMetzler: Can adults NOT walk around with Jell-O shooters that look like candy corn? My teenager thought they were juice.

Whoa. Everyone settle down. The Jell-O shots are a street staple. I look twice at her post. I'm going to have to assert my leadership here.

CarsonCarson: I bought a click counter to use every time a kid takes a candy.

GwenHOAPrez: Like at an amusement park? The thing they use to check the rides?

KMetzler: So, is anyone going to confirm the 3:30 start time?

I shut my laptop before I get sucked into this with half my morning gone. I'll check in on my angry ducklings later. My house could use some spooky decorations.

I go outside to hang up the strange material that makes the stretchy spiderwebs. My back is to the street. The cold wind blows down my neck. A shuffle of footsteps causes me to turn and see Nate and Noreen walking towards their house. I haven't seen them since the semi-finals when I saw Tara and Willow get into his car afterwards and I have given up listening every time someone is outside his door.

"Hi Gwen," Nate says, holding my gaze. "Do you need a hand?"

"Can I help?" Noreen says, dropping her backpack.

"Of course. I have extra. This stuff goes on forever." I hand her a bag. "If you want to decorate your house go for it." I look to Nate, he nods.

She takes the bag and Nate opens it for her. A smile rides up my mouth and a frown fills my heart, all I see is Daphne at that age, it's a good kind of happy, but I like the fact that kids still get excited for decorating for Halloween.

"You put up a good fight at the semi-finals." Nate helps Noreen and the three of us are working in unison, each on our own houses.

"We were crushed we didn't make it to the finals after the extra practices. It felt good to make it that far. Are you going to the finals?"